Monday, October 2, 2017

Coming Together To Change Our World Takes Unity

What an awful start to October.

When I woke up this morning, I flipped on the television to be greeted not by Julia Moffitt, Ben Hill and Chuck Lofton, but the coverage of last night's mass shooting in Las Vegas.

As I was at work, I kept checking Twitter for updates, and the death toll continued to go up. Unbelievably more than 500 people were injured.

Obviously, I send my condolences to all those that have lost and wish the best to those recovering. I send thoughts of comfort to those in mourning. Your burden to bear is so much.

It's true that we're not safe anywhere from terror...foreign or domestic. It's also true that we can't stop living our lives. It's more likely that I could get hit by a semi on 465 on my drive to work than me being the victim of a terrorist attack.

We still don't know the motive of the attacker in this case, but he was able to do a lot of damage and shake up a lot of lives in just a few minutes. No one person should have that much power or the means to do it, but we can have that debate on another day.

I firmly believe that today is a day for coming together. For giving each other hugs and hoping and praying, if that's what you do, for a time when these mass killings are a distant memory and when human beings value each other's worth so much that no one ever wants to take another's life for any reason.

You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I hope I'm not the only one.

No comments: