Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Politics Doesn't Have To Be Nasty

I had not been to a political fundraiser in a while, so I attended Marion County Surveyor Debbie Jenkins's fundraiser earlier tonight at the Carpenter's Union Hall in Beech Grove.

It was a great event.  I love catching up with people at these events.  I caught Mayor Joe Hogsett as he was leaving, and he did not deck me for my blog post last week.  I didn't think he would.  In fact, he was his normal jovial self.

The fun part of the night came as I was leaving.  Edwards Drive-In's food truck catered the event, and I was going to get a pork tenderloin for the road.  About six or seven of us, including Democratic candidate for Sheriff Kerry Forestal and former City-County Councillor Doris Minton-McNeil got caught underneath an awning waiting for our food as a thunderstorm hit.

It poured.  Being the largest person around, I tried to help keep people dry hoping not to blow away.  Still, after the day, it was kind of a refreshing way to end it.

Not all politics has to be nasty, and there wasn't a nasty word spoken at the fundraiser.  In fact, everybody seemed very concerned about Congressman Steve Scalise and those injured in the shooting earlier today.  Here we were though...six or seven Democrats stuck under an awning getting soaking wet while waiting for food.

I was wet to the skin by the time I got in my car, but I didn't care.  We laughed, joked, had fun, and enjoyed the company of others.

It's really the small things in life that bring a smile to your face.  For me, politics brings me together with my friends, and it doesn't have to just be Democrats.  Last week, I had a blast talking to the Republicans at the Decatur Central Lions Club 4-H Fair.  After some good-natured ribbing, the conversation turned to families and life.

Politics aside, we're humans first.

I continue to send my thoughts and best wishes for a speedy recovery to those injured in the shooting at the Republican Congressional Baseball Team practice this morning.

No comments: