Friday, July 22, 2016

Thoughts on the Republican National Convention

I was going to try to go back and try to make some sense out of this week's Republican National Convention in Cleveland, but I really find it difficult to seriously go about doing so.

The Republican Party is on fire.  It truly is, and there's part of me that finds it sad.

When I was in high school and began to become aware of politics, I was coming out of the Reagan Administration and into the 1990's.  My parents were Republicans, and I was raised in that kind of traditional fiscal conservative and socially libertarian household.

I went to college and it coincided with the rise of the Clintons and the rise of Newt Gingrich and the Contract with America Republicans.  The party was moving further and further to the right, and I figured out that I wasn't really a Republican.  In 1996, I voted for the first time, and I voted for Bill Clinton.

I say all of this because I think I've seen a complete collapse of what used to be the Republican Party under Ronald Reagan.  While he's often cited as someone that is the father of the modern conservative movement, Reagan would never recognize this version of conservatism pushed by Donald Trump.

To a certain part of our country, this Trump conservatism resonates.  That's why the Republican brand as it is now still can definitely propel him into the White House and why it's more important than ever to stop it.

Overall, the convention was a disaster.  It started gloomy on Monday night, and it ended gloomy with Trump's awful speech.  Along the way, the lies flew about Hillary Clinton, and the repeated attacks that have been rebuffed by facts were repeated again.  Ted Cruz refused to endorse him, and, perhaps the highlight of the convention, was Mike Pence's speech on Wednesday.

All-in-all, this race was where it was a week ago. Those loving Trump love him more.  Those hating Clinton still hate Clinton.  Those hating Trump probably dislike him even more.  I don't think Trump's speech played at all well to those in swing states.  In fact, in that regard, it might have hurt Trump.

The polls will shake all this out in a couple of weeks.  For now, it's off to Philadelphia where there ain't no party like a DEMOCRATIC party!

One winner in all of this was the City of Cleveland.  Congratulations to Cleveland for an excellent job hosting the RNC mess.

1 comment:

Gregg West said...

I agree that the Republican party is on fire. I believe it is a good fire and a somewhat overdue fire. In the forest, natural fires produce needed change. Many hearty species of plant and animals survive a fire, many prosper after a fire, and some owe their very existence to a long history of periodic fires. Without fire, plant-life would get overgrown, and impossible to move through, animals would get overpopulated, and growth becomes difficult. Notably missing from the convention were many old establishment members who are feeling the heat.