Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Clinton's Moment is A Moment for all Women

My mother, however, told me that she would be voting for Hillary Clinton in 2016 because she thought it was time for a female President.

If you know how much my parents hated the Clintons in the 90's, this bit of information would surprise you.  Both my parents were lifelong Republicans.

Last night, as Hillary Clinton formally celebrated becoming the Democratic Party's presumptive nominee for President, I thought about my mother and what she told me. My mom had no idea that Hillary would run for President for certain, and she passed away on Christmas Day in 2014.

I was born in 1975.  For me, women have always been able to vote, but it hasn't been all that long ago that they were not.  In fact, when both of my grandmothers were born in 1910 and 1913, neither of their mothers were able to go to the polls and cast their ballots.  That's just two generations into my past.

It's just remarkable how fast society can change.  It makes it likely that someday in the no-so-distant future that we could see a LGBT candidate for President of the United States.

For now, that will have to wait.  Tonight is about Eleanor Roosevelt.  Tonight is about Shirley Chisholm.  Tonight is about Geraldine Ferraro.  Tonight is about all the great female political leaders our nation has seen.

In some way, tonight is about my mother.  Hillary Clinton carries her hopes and dreams for a female President on to the General Election.

Hillary Clinton now takes her place in history, and this chapter continues to be written.

No comments: