Sunday, May 1, 2016

In Memoriam: Gary Welsh

Welsh
Attorney and local blogger Gary Welsh has apparently passed away.  That's the sad news on this Sunday afternoon.

Fellow blogger and attorney Paul Ogden reported on his Facebook that the longtime blogger passed away.  He had published nearly daily on his Advance Indiana blog for over 11 years.

To say I went hot and cold on Gary would be the proper way to describe how I felt about the man and his blog.  He and I had a few go arounds in the blogosphere, and I found some of his blog posts, frankly, way out there.  Others, I found in poor taste.  Others were brilliant.

No matter what he posted, I always respected Gary for his commitment to publishing and the sheer volume of work he did as a blogger.

Already this year, Gary had pumped out 316 posts.  In previous years, he topped the thousand post mark easily.  I know first hand how hard it is to create five posts per week.  I don't know how he did it.

His last post was on Friday on the Indiana Presidential Primary, and it included the cryptic, "If I'm not around to see the vote results, my prediction is that Trump wins Indiana with just shy of 50% of the vote, but he will carry every single congressional district and sweep the delegate race--assuming the party-chosen delegates honor their rules-bound commitment to support the winner on the first ballot."

Gary's loss will be felt in the Indy blogosphere because, even if we disagreed, you had to respect when Gary was at his best.  It was when he was taking on his own party and Greg Ballard.  It was when he was holding city government's feet to the fire and exposing the kinds of corruption only deep research and journalism could.  Gary Welsh was a citizen journalist.

I never met him, but I wanted to.  I hope he knew that I did respect him despite our differences of opinion.  I won't get a chance to tell him.

Indy blogging giant Gary Welsh is gone, and there's no one to fill that hole.

Update:
The Indianapolis Business Journal is calling Gary's death an "apparent suicide."  Autopsy is planned for Monday.

9 comments:

Bob Cardwell said...

I will miss him. Thanks for the kind words.

Veracity said...

I did not always agree with Gary - far from it - but he did provide information not found in the mainstream media and he certainly got discussions going. I hope Gary can now rest in peace.

Bill Smythe said...

Like you , I don't have to agree with a person to respect them and their passion for our collective community. Though , unlike you, I did agree with Gary often and loved his desire to call out his own party for their failings. May whatever demons that afflicted him be assuaged with his passing and may he rest in peace. His voice will be missed. Good job Jon.

Marycatherine Barton said...

I am heart broken to learn on this May Day, that Gary is no longer with us. May he Rest in Peace. He was a wonderful man, and died way too young!

Anonymous said...

Sad to hear. While there were the set topics that you just knew to skip when you read his blog, other posts were brilliant and were really first rate investigatory journalism. His blog was one of my daily (or sometimes more than daily ) places to go to know what was going on in Indy and the surrounding area.

Ernie Shearer said...

RIP Gary

Anonymous said...

WOW! Stunned! While my politics did not mirror Gary's, I very much appreciated his insights as well as his exposes regarding the rampant corruption at ALL levels of our government. He did a fantastic job researching our corrupt political system and political elites. I do hope someone will build on what Gary did. He deserves a million thanks. May Gary rest-in-peace.

Anonymous said...

What is obvious is that this isn't suicide but murder, and his cryptic message could easily be read as a way of telling someone he'd been threatened but didn't want to come off as paranoid and so left that part out. Like others finding death threats too improbable to be believed.

Why would anyone choose to shoot themselves in the first place, let alone to do so in a stairwell in the building they lived in makes no sense to me. If anything it smells to high heaven. The fact that he was in a stairwell instead of his own condo suggests that some person's lured him to open the door and then took him into the stairwell to murder him, and since he evidently had his own gun on him that would suggest to me that he had a reason to fear. I think the evidence supports that he was overpowered (more than one assassailant) so that they could then shoot him with his own gun at close range, stage the scene, and flee without notice.

Who's asking questions here? Is there video of the doors, exits, are the stairwells monitored? If they are, have all the people in the video's been identified and accounted for? Why is this being labeled an apparent suicide when the logical conclusion is that he was murdered. It's a little premature to be calling this suicide I think.

Anonymous said...

He ended up in the Marion County Coroners office? Lol. Karma is a bitch!!!