Wednesday, February 3, 2016

End of LGBT Civil Rights Fight for This Session Just Means Delay of Inevitable

Efforts to end the discrimination against LGBT Hoosiers died today in the Indiana General Assembly, and, while the sun will come up tomorrow, it's hard to see how we could get this close and allow the whole thing to slip away.

The easiest thing we should be able to do as a government of the people, for the people, and by the people is to protect the civil rights of people.  Shoulda...woulda...coulda.  It's too damn hard, right?

It's too hard because some of these gerrymandered districts Indiana General Assembly members represent create a world where their representatives have no one to answer to except their own extremism, so they don't care about the rights of Hoosiers.  They could care less about someone who gets married on Friday and gets fired on Monday.

I'm sorry too.  I guess I had more confidence in people.  I guess I had more confidence in our legislators to get things done.  I thought in the end that they would feel the pain in their hearts that those who are discriminated against feel.  I thought maybe they'd feel the fear that many feel when they can't fully express who they are for fear of retaliation...or worse.

Nope.  I was wrong about Indiana.

Governor Pence hates the idea of civil rights for gay people so much that he's willing to stake his job on it.  Others believe that it's not a big enough issue to move on this session.

It's important to remember that, as the saying says, anything that's worth doing isn't easy.  Progress isn't easy, either.  Here in the Hoosier State, it's going to take a little longer, but we will someday celebrate LGBT civil rights.  It's going to happen hopefully in my lifetime instead of yours.

Yes, it's important to remember how far we've come.  Sometimes, we need a reminder about how far we have left to go.  As Macklemore said in Same Love, "We press play.  We don't press pause.  Progress, march on."

Don't stop living.  Don't stop fighting.  We will live in a state that someday recognizes our civil rights are worth protecting.  History is on our side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I admire (seriously) your persistence, idealism, and love of Indiana. Unfortunately I've lived here long enough now (25 years) that I am not nearly so optimistic.