Saturday, November 7, 2015

Amos Brown...Gone

Amos Brown
Photo Courtesy of Amos Brown, AM 1310 The Light

Life doesn't even give you a chance to say goodbye.

Just last night before bed, I saw a tweet on Amos Brown's Twitter feed about the new protected bike lanes.  I chuckled to myself that Amos doesn't miss a beat.

Now, I'm sitting here on my couch with my mouth agape and misty eyes after hearing that Amos Brown has died.  According to family sources, he collapsed while in Chicago while visiting family and has passed away.

This loss is felt for me on three levels.  When my mother died, Amos sent his condolences to me via Twitter.  I honestly didn't even know that Amos read this blog or knew I existed, so it was honestly shocking for me that he took time to remember my mother and of course very appreciated.  Amos was a force of nature.  He was an icon.

I feel his loss as a journalist.  Amos came with a point-of-view, but his point-of-view was always clear.  You knew where he stood, and he was always curious and searching for the truth.  Every question he asked.  Every article he scoured.  Every source he checked.  Every conversation he had.  It was all a tool to get to the truth of something.  More often than not, he'd find it.

Finally, his loss is the end of a career of advocacy.  Anyone that was anyone or wanted to be anyone passed through Amos' studio chairs and had to face his questions.  If you ducked him, he would tell everyone.  If you disrespected him, he'd tell everyone.  Conversely, if he liked you, he'd tell everyone.  What Amos said mattered.

I don't really know what to say other than my condolences to all of his many friends and to his family.  It was less than a month ago that I was on his show, and he was at his best that day.  That's how I'll always remember him.

There will never be another...

Amos Brown is gone, and I can't believe it.

No comments: