Saturday, October 31, 2015

Tully Defends Miller But Not Mascari?

Indianapolis Star columnist Matt Tully all but endorsed City-County Councillor Jeff Miller in the newspaper’s pages over a negative attack sent out by the Marion County Democratic Party into Miller’s district.

I haven’t seen the negative piece, but it bears note that the Republican Party has since reportedly dropped a negative piece on Emily Shrock. Shrock didn’t even have anything to do with the negative piece that hit mailboxes against Miller.
Councillor Jeff Miller

Listen, I’m not going to call balls and strikes on this one. I wish negative campaigns didn’t exist. That said, it’s part of the party, folks. 

Back in 2012, I thought about running for Indiana Senate. At the time, my mother was still living, and I was afraid of the effects a dirty campaign might have on her. I knew that if I threatened Senator Mike Young’s prospects for reelection, that he might go negative. I sought out every person I could think of to give me good advice.

My best advice came from Congressman AndrĂ© Carson. He didn’t sugar coat it. He told me to follow my heart knowing that the other side would do its worst if they had to. I picked up my phone, and I called Vi Simpson the next morning. I told her no.

This time, it appears to some degree that the negative campaigning has caused folks to defend Miller, and that’s ok. I consider Jeff a good friend. I find him to be thoughtful and engaging. He’s a good man and a wonderful father. 

I think he’s also good at playing the role of the internally- tortured politician. While there’s no question that he doesn’t always agree with his own party, he often votes with it and then explains how hard it was to vote with it. I don’t doubt his heart. He may in fact be struggling when he votes sometimes, but there are many reasons why he stays a Republican.

When I look at who I would vote for in that district, I see a candidate that has knocked doors, listened to voters, and pounded the pavement unlike any other candidate. That’s Emily Shrock. I think it puts her in a better position to represent the newly-drawn District 16 than Jeff.

Whether the voters will see it that way or not remains to be seen on Tuesday. Let’s not be sanctimonious about negative campaigning, though. There have been many times it’s occurred and has been unfair and Matt Tully has written nothing.  

In fact, it just happened to Frankie Mascari.

Mascari had a negative mail piece dropped against him in his district.  The shady piece uses dubious claims to portray Mascari as a vote for frivolous lawsuits against the city.  It leaves out the fact that these lawsuits were mostly bi-partisan efforts to safeguard taxpayer dollars and the Council's own function as a check against the power of the Mayor.        

Where's that column Matt?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU NAILED IT when it comes to the fence straddling, double speaking "Republican" Jeff Miller: "I think he’s also good at playing the role of the internally- tortured politician. While there’s no question that he doesn’t always agree with his own party, he often votes with it and then explains how hard it was to vote with it.

No one can stake out several sides of an issue to appeal to almost anyone who can vote for him than Miller. No one.

Anonymous said...

Frankie will win. He doesn't need Tully's worthless help. Go Frankie!!!