Sunday, June 21, 2015

Time Spent on Father's Day Pays Dividends Later

My father in Florida
It's Father's Day in the United States and in all the countries across the world that celebrate dads.  For the sixth year, I celebrate the memory of my father as he passed away in February of 2009.

As I've written before on this blog, I have positive memories about the relationship with my father, Henry Easter, and I always knew that he loved me because he was never afraid of telling me.

My dad was big and powerful, and he could be hard to get along with, but, as his life went on, I think he began to enjoy it more.

That's not to say it wasn't challenging.  Before my mother passed, a tape existed with my father's thoughts on it as his life slowly faded.  He was sick, and he knew his heart only had a few months of beats left.  Depressed and sleep-deprived, he put his thoughts on to a mini cassette tape over a series of nights.  It left us with a 20 minute snapshot of my father's mindset before he passed.

I never wanted to hear the tape, but my brother urged me to listen.  I'm so glad that I did.

Those thoughts were far too personal to reveal here, but my father believed his biggest successes in life were not in his professional life.  He believed that his biggest successes were in his family life.  He loved my mother with everything that he was, and he was proud of my brother and I.  That tape went to the grave with my mother because it really was hers.  Dad meant it for her, and it's with her always in the casket where she rests for eternity.

As I always say on Father's Day, if you can, spend some time with your father or the father figure in your life.  Try to mend old wounds and relationships.  The time you spend will pay dividends years down the road.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eric Olson said...

Well stated Jon. Your dad would be honored to hear these words.