Friday, April 3, 2015

Mea Culpa

Shame on me.

That's right.  I said it.  Shame on me.

You can go back to the first post on this blog, and I realized today that prior to this RFRA controversy that I have never demanded in a blog post here that LGBT Hoosiers be added to the state's non-discrimination law.  Shame on me for never advocating for it, and shame on me for never bringing it up here.

I'm sorry to all my LGBT friends who live outside of one of the communities that have Human Rights Ordinances on the books that I've never fought for.  I'm very sorry.  I messed up, and it took this RFRA mess to make me realize it and to make me realize what I should be doing now on this blog.

I guess sometimes you miss what's right in front of you, and I should have done more prior to today to make LGBT Hoosiers a protected class under the state's non-discrimination law.

Now that I know where I've come up short in the past, I can correct my error.  This has become a front-burner issue so quickly, and we have those that passed the RFRA the first time around to thank.  It's at the front of our consciousness now, and I won't let it slide from mine.

3 comments:

Paul K. Ogden said...

I think sometime in the not too distant future that members of the LGBT community will wake up and realize that they wasted valuable resources and burned legislative bridges fighting the wrong fight. The RFRA never affected LGBT rights despite the constant rhetoric to the contrary. What Freedom Indiana should have been doing this session is laying the groundwork for a statewide anti-discrimination law that includes sexual orientation.

There is a huge difference in political strategy involved in stopping a law versus getting one passed. Freedom Indiana has been involved in two fights to stop laws, first the same sex marriage amendment and this year the RFRA. I thought the organization did a good job of sticking to the high road in the 2014 fight, but things badly deteriorated in 2015 into a very negative, bitter...and pointless fight over RFRA.

The problem is that Freedom Indiana and its allies burned a lot of political bridges in fighting RFRA. Now they want an anti-discrimination law passed, I can tell you there are a lot of unhappy legislators that are not going to want to lift a finger to help Freedom Indiana given the vicious attacks they faced they last couple weeks. There will be some cities pass anti-discrimination laws, but a statewide law is out of the question for probably 10-15 years, a longer time than I would otherwise have guessed.

johnnystir said...

Compared to some things I've seen at the Statehouse, I'd hardly call what Freedom Indiana "vicious attacks."

Anonymous said...

Paul you are so wrong. The legislators now are scared of the entire issue. We will now get anti-discrimination laws much more quickly. This was played exactly right. Publicity and now the business community will ensure that changes are made.