Thursday, March 5, 2015

Carson's Incendiary Views Show Long Road to Presidency

Dr. Ben Carson
For someone so smart, Ben Carson sure sounds like an idiot.

The Republican Presidential hopeful said on CNN’s New Day program on Wednesday that being gay is a choice and prison proves it.

“Because a lot of people go into prison straight and when they come out, they’re gay,” the neurosurgeon told CNN’s Chris Cuomo. “So did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question.”

Well, Dr. Carson, I can’t answer your question. I know probably a handful of people that have been to prison, and they didn’t change their sexual orientation. I know messed up things happen in prison, and there are some very tortured souls in our prisons. I would argue that sometimes the relationships that develop in prison are less a matter of choice and more a need for companionship or for something more sinister. Regardless, I don’t think you can use prison as a solid example of how people are either born or choose to be gay. That’s ridiculous.
I can only tell you from my own experience that there has never been a time in my life that I’ve felt right in a straight relationship, and, believe me, there was a time in my life that I wanted nothing more than to choose to be straight. I tried to date women, but I felt wrong inside. I knew who I was before I even knew what it meant to be gay or straight, and my life pretty much sucked until I got up the gumption to admit to myself who I was. I looked in the mirror and I said it. Once I was honest with myself about the person I am, life has been amazing. You couldn’t get me to choose to be anything but the person I am, and I have had no choice over that.

I could go deeper, but Dr. Carson doesn’t deserve any more attention on this subject. I just don’t know how a person who is supposed to understand the brain in such a way that he can operate on it can be more wrong about human nature.
Dr. Carson clearly doesn’t understand the Constitution, either. After slapping gay people in the face with the ridiculous prison example, he sets up that age old separate but equal example saying that gay people can join in a relationship with all the legal benefits and just not call it marriage. That, of course, violates the Equal Protection clause of the Constitution.

It’s clear Carson needs more education before he’s ready to raise his right hand and become President.

No comments: