Monday, February 23, 2015

Indy Snow Force Needs to Reexamine Six Inch Policy

As I was driving home yesterday from dinner, I noticed a City of Indianapolis plow going down Thompson Road (which was clear) pushing snow on the edge of the berm further back.  As I passed neighborhood streets, I noted what a treacherous disaster they looked like.  

While certainly it should be the aim of the city to consolidate its efforts on the main drags of Indy to clear away snow, it certainly wouldn't kill them to invest in maybe some equipment to help out the neighborhoods that aren't under the watchful eye of a homeowner's association.  

I tweeted Indy Snow Force yesterday about whether the neighborhood contractors would be activated.  The answer was no.  


Six inches is the limit.  At 5.9, you're out of luck.  At 6.1, it's apparently all good.

Now, I have news for you.  I had an appointment I could not break downtown on Saturday morning at 10:45.  I had to ask a friend of mine with a four wheel drive to pick me up and drop me off then bring me home.  With the 5.2 inches added on to the base of what was already there, I couldn't get my car out of the garage safely.  I still can't go to the end of my cul de sac.

Now, it would be absolutely ridiculous for me to expect the Indy Snow Force to have my cul de sac completely clean while it was snowing, but the snow stopped over 24 hours ago, and it appears we have time to clean already clean streets.

Before you accuse me of being a bleeding heart liberal on a spending frenzy, it seems that we get the money to do what we want to do in this city.  Instead of sending plows down those already clean streets the next day after a snow storm, why not retrofit several city pickup size trucks to help out the neighborhoods?  After all, 5.2 inches of snow at the airport might have been six somewhere in the city.  It's an arbitrary policy that needs to change.  

Hopefully it will when Joe Hogsett is Mayor.

2 comments:

William said...

Jon, I couldn't agree with you more. One way to resolve the issue with going with a single measurement at the airport or where ever the "official" number is taken is to take several readings.

Here's a thought, take one in each township, and then average it. That way you take into account variations that could have occurred in the city.

Before you argue then where to take the measurements at, it is fairly simple either at each township government office location or use a high school within the respective townships.

Indy Student said...

Mayor Brainard talked about part of Carmel's snow removal is fitting smaller city owned vehicles, medium sized trucks used for public works or other city services, and putting snow plows on them and crosstraining the employees. It gives them the opportunity to earn some overtime pay, and the vehicles are small enough to take care of some of the side streets and residential areas that the larger trucks just either don't have time for or can't get to.

How much of that answer was Brainard blowing smoke on I don't know, but it sounds like a good idea in theory.