Friday, August 29, 2014

Donate to ALS or Parkinson's Research

One of my students challenged me to the Ice Bucket Challenge.  I've been too busy to get dunked, but I will do it.  I promise.

I did, however, make a donation to the ALS Association, and it made me think back to a very personal story.

My ALS story has to do with my mother.  For those of you that don't know, my mother suffers from a very advanced form of arthritis as well as Parkinson's Disease.  While her mental capacities are still with her, she struggles, the Parkinson's has advanced so far that she struggles to stand on her own, and she also has trouble eating, dressing herself, and other things we all take for granted.

When she was first experienced symptoms, the doctors weren't sure about her initial symptoms, and it took some tests to finally hone in on the diagnosis that was reached with Parkinson's.  It was a very scary period for all of us.  To hear that you might, at worst case scenario, have Parkinson's or ALS must have been more than disheartening.

As I've watched my mom's physical health deteriorate, I can empathize with those watching people suffer from ALS.  With ALS, the body is robbed of its muscles until eventually it robs you of your ability to breathe on your own.  The prognosis isn't good, and it is almost always fatal.  It's always debilitating.

So, as you do your Ice Bucket Challenges, give a little to ALS research.  Go to www.alsa.org/donate and give.  You can also give to Parkinson's research at www.pdf.org.  Take a pie for Parkinson's.

Enjoy your Labor Day Weekend!

 

No comments: