Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Same-Sex Hoosier Couples May Now Marry

Marriage equality has apparently come to Indiana.

There's no one in this room to pinch me to tell me if I'm dreaming or not, but I'm fairly speechless.  When one is speechless, why not turn to the words of Thomas Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence?

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
It now means the same thing for all Hoosiers when it comes to joining in marriage with the one you love.

Attorney General Greg Zoeller may spend our tax dollars in a reckless appeal, but Judge Richard Young's ruling stands.  Marriage equality has come to the Hoosier State.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a card carrying member of the Republican Party, in a "traditional" marriage and a member of a local Christian mega-church. This ruling just makes me want to cry. I am sad that the federal government had to force Indiana to do the right thing. The tears in my eyes are tears of joy for all our gay and lesbian friends and family members who finally get the same rights as we heterosexuals have enjoyed for years. To my party, just accept the ruling and move on to other important things like quality education, job creation and a fair tax structure. If I had a rainbow flag I'd be flying it high today.