Monday, April 7, 2014

Parker for Mayor?

Dan Parker
While I was out, another potential candidate for Mayor of Indianapolis has stepped into the limelight.

Former Indiana Democratic Party Chair Dan Parker says he's interested in running for the office, and he's going to make a decision by Easter on his future.

First of all, I salute Parker for stepping up and thinking about running.  I think that with his connections and the names in his Rolodex that he should be able to raise enough money to give a credible challenge to Greg Ballard.

With that said, can he win?

Behind the scenes, some political insiders have been citing an independent poll that was done in the last month.  The poll allegedly shows Ballard with a high approval rating.  If you believe the numbers, any Democrat would have an uphill climb in 2015.

To me, it shouldn't daunt anyone that wishes to run.  Remember 2007?  At this point in 2006, everyone thought Mayor Bart Peterson was a shoo-in to get reelected.  Greg Ballard had not even been heard about.  Lots changed in 2007 that put Peterson's political future on the chopping block and that ultimately gave us Mayor Greg Ballard.  Many of those same tea leaves are in place heading into 2015.

Dan Parker's problem is different.  He's a former party boss, and he, himself, one time told me that being a party chair disqualifies one from running for office.  Being in that boat as a former party boss will make his job more difficult.  He has to mend some bridges and smooth over some wrinkles.  That starts with some in  the Marion County Democratic Party structure itself.

On the positive side, Parker knows how to run campaigns and, as I said earlier, can raise lots of cash.  Looking at the last two races for Mayor, they were actually very close.  Ballard received just over 50 percent of the vote in 2007 and slightly over 51 percent in 2011.  If enough doubt can sway a few thousand votes, Democrats could retake the 25th floor.  Is it really that hard to imagine in a blue county?  No.

If you ask me, Parker has a shot at becoming Mayor, but he has to take the first step.  He has to run.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan Parker for Mayor? He knows how to run campaigns? He has the worst record for winning of any state chair in the last 30 years. Of all the people I have met in politics he is the least honest. He even resigned as state chair and when his pal was not put in his place he unresigned. One of the goofiest moves ever. he would, by his own definition be a disaster as a candidate.

Anonymous said...

As a Democrat, if my choice is between Dan Parker and Frank Short, I will embrace Dan Parker with both my vote and my money. I can think of no bigger embarrassment for our party than Frank Short being the Democratic nominee for mayor.

Anonymous said...

somebody needs to explain to me why they think Short is an embarrassment? He has been elected as a CC counsilor from the near south side to three terms, was elected a twonship trustee on the northside. He is a proven vote getter. He has good relationships with the business community, he has been a prolific fundraiser for important charities, and he is a friend to labor. What is embarrassing?

johnnystir . said...

Whoever the candidate is in 2015, Democrats need to embrace this person and be unified behind them. We cannot afford another four years of Mayor Greg Ballard, imo.

johnnystir . said...

Anon 2:47
Don't forget that Parker has been involved in politics since he was a pup. He has a LONG record that extends back before he was named party chair.

I've made no bones about how I felt about his tenure as party chair. That said, this is a different office and a different opportunity. I'm keeping an open mind.

Anonymous said...

As someone who has met both of them and gotten to know them somewhat I right now feel I would lean towards supporting Parker. But is NOT LOCKED UP.

I however do not believe that we know everyone that is going to be in this race. I don't have inside information so if people aren't excited about this field hang on.

Anonymous said...

As someone who has met both of them and gotten to know them somewhat I right now feel I would lean towards supporting Parker. But is NOT LOCKED UP.

I however do not believe that we know everyone that is going to be in this race. I don't have inside information so if people aren't excited about this field hang on.

Anonymous said...

Worst party chair ever wants to be mayor. Never thought I would vote for any Repub ever for mayor. Parker or Short could change that.

Anonymous said...

Parker is a Patriots fan. Enough said. Go Colts. Go Frank.