Monday, April 28, 2014

NRA Leaves Behind More Questions Than Answers

The NRA circus has left town, and all that's left is the clean up.

While I'm glad they came to town and dropped off their wads of cash, I have to tell you that I hope that it's a while before they come back.

As I sifted through the media coverage of the events, I don't think I've ever heard a more confused lot than some of the folks at this convention.  That, of course, starts with some of the speakers.

Sarah Palin's rant against President Obama's foreign policy among other things included a line about using waterboarding as a way to "baptize terrorists".  Way to mix religion with one of the most heinous forms of torture, Sarah.  I still don't understand what the drawing power is with her.  She quit and walked out on her state of Alaska after she found fame.  Now, she makes her money outside of government by ripping it.

Many of the folks interviewed of course talked about how the President, the federal government, or someone wants to rip their guns away and put limits on the Second Amendment.  Yeah, that is not happening.  Not at all.  Even after several mass shooting incidents, we haven't seen any limits on anything.  We can't even get agreement on things that are agreed on.

It's all a function of the NRA that uses its millions to continue to whip up fear.  Fear that people want to get their guns and take away the ability of folks to bear arms.

I don't want your guns.  As far as I'm concerned, you can keep them.  I am not opposed to anyone keeping and having and using guns for sport or to defend oneself.  In fact, if you have a gun and you are able to shoot a home invader then good for you.  That said, I would like to see it harder for bad people to get hold of good guns.  If there's a way to stop that, then it should be our priority.

We're not going to solve anything as long as we go off into our isolated corners.  We need to find common ground.  Spewing the kinds of rhetoric I heard from many at the NRA convention, I'm just not so sure it's possible.  Will it ever be?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guns kill people. Nations such as the UK and Japan, with strict gun control, have a fraction of the murder rate of us. I would ban all handguns and assault weapons, and allow hunting rifles only at hunting lodges, to be checked in and out while hunting. We need Democrats with the courage to take on the NRA. I would love to see a Democratic candidate for mayor of Indianapolis running against guns and the NRA. His mantra: "I hate the NRA!". He'd probably get 60% of the vote!

Eric said...

Guns kill people. Nations such as the UK and Japan, with strict gun control, have a fraction of the murder rate of us. I would ban all handguns and assault weapons, and allow hunting rifles only at hunting lodges, to be checked in and out while hunting. We need Democrats with the courage to take on the NRA. I would love to see a Democratic candidate for mayor of Indianapolis running against guns and the NRA. His mantra: "I hate the NRA!". He'd probably get 60% of the vote!