Tuesday, April 15, 2014

2014 Primary Season Eerily Quiet

Here we are, it’s just a few weeks out from the 2014 Primary Election, and there’s really not much to talk about.

I’ve been sitting here wracking my brain for interesting stories to put here on the blog for days, and there's just not much interesting on the ballot for Primary '14.

This is not 2008 when a hotly-contested Presidential race brought folks out. It’s not 2010 or 2012 when there were serious primary challenges for U.S. Senate and U.S. House. This is gentle 2014, and there’s just not much to talk about.

This time, you have judicial candidates fighting for their jobs on the bench.  House District 91 has been interesting. The band of candidates that have come out of the woodwork to challenge Congressman Carson could provide some wacky copy. If the Treasurer of State race were something Primary voters voted in , I could see the three-way race between Wayne Seybold, Don Bates, Jr., and Kelly Mitchell on the Republican side as a knockdown drag out. That will be fought at the Republican Convention in Fort Wayne.

So, why even have a primary? Why not let the parties choose their candidates…as the Libertarians do at a convention...and save taxpayers a few dollars? Thankfully, not every year is like this.

As a Democratic Party voter, I like to have a say in who represents my party. Maybe that’s the best answer. Primaries do, from time to time, produce upsets. In some communities across Indiana, the primary is the only election, and it’s the general that’s a snoozer.

I think 2014 is just an anomaly, and we'll be back to hotly contested primaries next year. I just wouldn’t expect a ton of voters to turn out on Election Day. Call my cynical, but I’m struggling to find reasons to go to the polls that day myself, but I'll be there. It's my civic duty.  I have friends on the ballot, and it's good to support all those people that gave up a day of their lives to work the polls.

It is all the more reason to think the status quo will prevail on May 6. Party loyalists will go to the polls and likely select the same candidates they have always selected, and we’ll go to the General Election when the real fun starts. 

No comments: