Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Daley Now Role Model in Different Way

Tom Daley
On Monday, an international celebrity made a big splash with a video announcement.

Britsh gold medalist Tom Daley, a diver, revealed to the world in an announcement on YouTube that even though he still is into women that he is dating a man.  

Daley says his relationship with the unidentified man (rumors say the guy is Hollywood screenwriter Dustin Lance Black) has made him feel like he never has before.  "It did take me by surprise a little bit," said Daley in his YouTube announcement. "It was always in the back of my head that something like that could happen, but it wasn't until spring this year that something just clicked.  It felt right...my whole world just changed right there and then."

Now, why am I here writing on a political blog about a 19-year-old British diver announcing that he's dating a guy?  It's simple.  I want to commend Daley for taking this step in his life and deciding to live it in such a public manner.  "People are going to have their own opinions, and I think people are going to make a big deal of this.  Is it a big deal?  Well, I don't think so."

That's right.  It's not a big deal, Tom.  The more people that say that, the better.  Life is too darn short to worry about who other people can love.  

By the same token, it IS a big deal.  Tom Daley, an athlete and a celebrity, is yet another high-profile person choosing to come out and live their life in the open.  That speaks so much to those who live in fear each day of what people might think about them if only their true selves were known.  For that, Daley also has a message, "I'm still Tom.  I still want to win an Olympic gold medal in Rio2016 for Great Britain.  I'm still motivated as ever to do that."

I think Tom will find plenty of support out there, and I hope his example brings strength to those still living in fear.  It really does get better out here.

No comments: