Friday, September 6, 2013

Syria Situation is All Around Lose-Lose

Bashar al-Assad
As our elected officials in Washington continue to deliberate over bombing Syria, I find myself disturbed that we haven't learned anything from our past mistakes in this country.

I know that President Obama's plan is to strike Syria in retaliation for using chemical weapons against their own people.  So far, that plan does not include putting our troops on the ground in Syria, and the presumed military operation will target military installations and be, according to the President, limited in scope and in duration.

These things, I guess, are all well and good.  Bashar al-Assad is a bad man.  If the intelligence that has been shared with the American people is true, he has gassed his own people.  Children are among the victims.  It's hard to watch the footage and see the pictures.

The thing is that America has turned a blind eye to the carnage that has been going on in Syria for years.  On YouTube, there is horrifying video after horrifying video of the atrocities the Syrian Government has allegedly perpetrated on its own people.  The rebels aren't much better.  Allegedly, they have ties to Al-Qaeda.

Barack Obama
This is a classic lose-lose situation, and we are late to the party.  A limited in duration and scope operation against military targets won't do anything to stop the violence or end the carnage.  I believe that this will only whip up anti-American sentiment in the region.  It might also end in the collateral damage of dead civilians who get put in the wrong place at the wrong time.

One thing is for sure.  We cannot stand by and do nothing.  The United States and the world community should stand together against the atrocities that are being perpetrated by both sides in this Syrian Civil War.  After all, the radicalized rebel forces executed a 15-year-old boy for insulting Islam.  We are trading the dictator we know for the unknown.

I struggle to think about maybe the day we will truly know peace in this world.  People can be awful creatures to each other, and I cannot for the life of me understand why.  All I know is that attacking military targets in Syria in a limited way will not change lives.  We must stand with the good people of Syria because there are many and bolster them so that they can rise above the violence and the killing and create a new nation of freedom.

I must break with my President's view on this matter, and I must say that this is not the kind of action that I thought he would undertake or the kind of action I support.  There is no easy answer to this mess, and I certainly don't have it nor will I find it in one blog post.

What I think I do know is that failing to attack Syria is not a sign of weakness.  As the United States, we should stand for love, understanding, and peace.  If people truly want to test our capabilities as a military power, then they should do so at their own peril.  There is justification for the use of our forces, but a years-long civil war that is slogging along is not one of them.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Its pure diversion politics at its best,lets invade a country so we will forget that Hillary said it was no big deal that four people were murdered... nsa..irs..etc