Monday, August 19, 2013

United Democrats Picnic Brings Out Huge Crowd

Ain't No Party Like a Democrat Party
Yesterday, I attended the United Democrats Picnic at Garfield Park, and I was reminded what a gem the park is in Indianapolis.  It's truly a beautiful place

Beyond being reminded of the beauty of the park, I was struck by the number of Democrats at the picnic in an off year and the diversity of those Democrats.  That in itself was a sight to see.

Democrats are quite a group.  We don't always agree, but we do know what unites us all.  That's good food and great conversation.

I had a bunch of those great conversations with a variety of folks.  Mostly it wasn't even about political things.  We talked about our families and our lives.  I spent a while talking high school, college, and NFL football, and I answered a number of questions about how I looked different in a cap.  Multiple people told me I was tall, and I could barely get out of the picnic table seat where I was plopped because of the crowd around me.

It was packed out.

When the conversation did turn to politics, typically it was local issues that we discussed.  You can imagine Greg Ballard's cricket over cops plan came up.  I heard a couple of mentions of the Ballard Power Grab, and I met a lot of candidates for a variety of offices.

All-in-all, it was a good day to forget about the perils of life for an afternoon and just enjoy being around people that share the same core values that I do even if they came from vastly different backgrounds than me.  After all, that's what being a Democrat is about.  We value diversity.  It's who we are.

2 comments:

Society of Socrates said...

I totally agree with your description of the picnic. Yes Garfield is a beautiful park and I got lost drove out of it and came back on east street and then headed east and found the place.

Society of Socrates said...

Sorry that I miss you at the picnic. Zach did a fine joke as the MC. Cheers, John Zaphiriou