Saturday, June 15, 2013

Father's Day Weekend Brings Back Memories

Dad and Me
Some of us never get to appreciate our fathers.  Thankfully, I got to appreciate mine.

I didn't appreciate him enough though as I look back.  My dad was a good man.  A couple of years ago, I wrote his story here on the blog.  If you want to find out more about him, click here.

Like I said, I was fortunate in that I knew my dad, and I got to know him pretty well.  There were, however, things I didn't know about him.  Sometimes, the mysteries even get revealed today in bits and pieces of stories I hear.

I had a great father.  He was loving and devoted to his family.  He adapted to the changes in my life that I threw at him.  I know he agonized over my bad decisions and worried about me even more than I worried about myself.  I didn't always listen, either, but that's what a kid is supposed to do, right?  You don't listen and then later you realize how right your father was.

I don't know where this blog post is going.  It's 3:21 a.m. on a Saturday morning.  All I can do is think about my father.  I hear his voice in my head, and I can feel him here somehow tonight.  I think he's doing what he used to do for me.  When I was sick or when I couldn't sleep when I was little, he would hold me and rock me until I was not scared any more.  He'd wait until I'd fall asleep, and then he'd put me in my bed.

I don't think he could do that any more.  Imagine a 6'4" 350 pound guy sitting on a 6'3" 250 pound guy's lap.  The physics alone could scare any La-Z Boy manufacturer.  Even when I got too big to rock, my dad was still my rock.  I can feel him here tonight.  He's probably wondering why I'm rambling about him on this blog post.

Happy Father's Day Dad.  I love you, and I miss you every day.

If you still have your dad and you are on good terms or you feel comfortable reaching out to him, hug him today.  Call him.  Buy him dinner.  Do something.  Appreciate him while he's here.  The good news is that he will be with you always.

No comments: