Monday, May 13, 2013

Rumors Flying in Marion County Clerk's Race

Beth White cannot run again for Marion County Clerk because the Indiana Constitution prohibits it.  That means it's an open seat for a high-profile office.  One candidate has announced, and another is rumored to be considering a run.

Eldridge
Marion County Director of Elections Myla Eldridge is already running for the office.  Eldridge has has been Director or Deputy Director of Elections since 2007, a time that has seen more elections than any other time in the County's history.  That includes the 2007 elections, three elections in 2008, a special referendum in 2009, and the normal  2010, 2011, and 2012 races.

Robinson
Multiple sources are telling me that At-Large City-County Councillor Leroy Robinson is considering a run at county office, specifically the Clerk's office.  Until recently, Robinson had been a school administrator in Pike Township before recently taking an outreach position in Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz's office.

The Marion County Clerk has such a wide and varied job.  So many different responsibilities thrown under one office.  Both Eldridge and Robinson would have their positives.  Eldridge has the advantage of being the announced candidate and having done a major aspect of the job several times before.  Robinson has the advantage of name recognition and having won a countywide election.

This would make an interesting slating battle if it holds and then who knows what might happen if one continues to the Primary.  As I often say, it bears watching.

UPDATE:
My apologies to both Myla and Leroy.  I actually wanted this post to run on Tuesday, but I apparently incorrectly scheduled it with the Blogger interface (sometimes I write things ahead of time).  That means that it ran on Monday instead.  Neither candidate had a chance to respond to an inquiry by my own deadline of Monday evening.  Again, my sincere apologies to both Myla and Leroy.  I will gladly post any response to my inquiry to both candidates if they elect to respond.

Again, my apologies.

No comments: