Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sticks and Stones, John Kasich

Governor John Kasich
Ohio Governor John Kasich is under fire in his own state from the Tea Party for expanding medicare.  Apparently, he's taking it out on Indiana.

At a dinner in Hamilton County, Ohio, the county where Cincinnati is located, Kasich derisively said that there isn't much more in Indiana than Indianapolis.  Said Kasich, "...you go to Indianapolis … and then say, ‘Where else are we going to go? Gary?"

I'm not going to sit here and defend the Hoosier State to all of you, my fellow Hoosiers, but I will just remind Mr. Kasich that old saying about sticks and stones is true.  These things he's spewing are just words.  In the whole scheme of things, Hoosiers are just like Ohioans.  We are on the same team as we are all Americans.

If he wants to pick a fight with the Hoosier State, that's fine.  We are a proud state, warts and all.  We aren't perfect.  We are far from it, but I've lived here all my life, and, when I go to my grave, I will become part of the Hoosier landscape someday.  If I'm lucky, maybe I'll find a nice Hoosier house to haunt.  I'm a Hoosier.

I've been to all the great cities in Indiana.  I've been in Indianapolis for almost all my life, but I lived for a while in Pittsboro.  Indiana is about both the Indianapolises and the Pittsboros.  We're about all the small town festivals in the fall and the county fairs in the summer.  Indiana is about weather that we know changes by the minute.  We're about the little small town eateries like Frank & Mary's in Pittsboro as well as the upscale places like the Eagle's Nest in Downtown Indy.  We're about places that you can't pronounce or the places that we purposefully mispronounce like Versailles and Milan.  Politically, we're the state that elects a Republican supermajority to our General Assembly but will still send a Democrat to the U.S. Senate. 

Hoosiers know that Indiana is a lot of things, but we're never boring.

Hoosiers know a fraud.  Hoosiers know a blowhard.  Hoosiers know someone who is in political trouble.  Those are all words that have been used to describe John Kasich.  You elected him, Ohio.

I wish you the best, Governor.

1 comment:

IndyDem said...

Hoosiers didnt elect Republican super majorities to the state house.. creative map drawing did that. The Hoosier electorate is vastly more moderate than those at the state house.