Thursday, March 28, 2013

Poor Timing for Donnelly Fundraising Message

Senator Donnelly on Campaign Trail
This morning, I received a campaign donation request from Joe Donnelly.

The message itself is cleverly written and asks for a low amount in order to meet the Senator's fundraising goal before the FEC deadline.  It invokes the story of the tortoise and the hare.

Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice (I've always wanted to use that), otherwise known as the Supreme Court, the nine Supreme Court Justices are just beginning to struggle with what to do about the Defense of Marriage Act and California's Proposition 8.  Both pieces of legislation, in my view, discriminate against LGBT couples by keeping them from joining in marriage with who they love.  Over the past few years, we've seen a tortoise and hare kind of story as public support moved slowly from opposing gay marriage to supporting it.  The thing is that "the hare" is starting to win the race in that case with more and more Americans evolving, as the President did, on the issue of gay marriage.

Joe Donnelly, however, remains one of just nine Democrats in the Senate that now does not support gay marriage.  I predict that, because of who Joe Donnelly is, that he will be the last one standing in opposition.  This is not a convenient political position for him but something he believes.  Donnelly doesn't seem politically sway-able on issues like these.  That's both admirable and maddening.  I believe that the only way Joe Donnelly is going to change his mind on gay marriage is for Joe Donnelly to change his mind on gay marriage.  That could be a tortoise of another kind.

All of this aside, it was an incredibly bad time for Donnelly to send a request for my dollars.  One of the biggest issues that I advocate for (and that, frankly, I evolved on) is in the public spotlight with Senator Donnelly on the wrong side of things from my perspective.  

My point???  I'm not so happy to write a check to you right now, Mr. Donnelly.  I bet that I'm not the only one.  

No comments: