Thursday, February 14, 2013

In Memoriam: Tim Froman

Tim Froman
(Photo from Facebook)
While I am someone that is blessed with a lot of friends, but like many, I only have a handful of truly close ones. On Sunday, though, I was shaken to learn about the loss of someone I had never actually met face-to-face.

Social media is a heck of a thing. I have acquired many friends through Facebook and Twitter that I have yet to meet. Recently, for example, I met Chris Spangle, the former Executive Director of the Libertarian Party face-to-face for the first time. It was like we had known each other for years…because we really had. It’s one of the best things about social media.

Unfortunately, on Sunday, one of my good friends through Facebook passed away suddenly of a heart attack. Tim Froman and I had spent a good four or five years as friends on Facebook and apparently just missing each other at events and things. He would often be the first or second person to comment on a status or leave me something on my profile. We had similar interests: politics, IndyCar racing, weather, and just general nerdy stuff. We also shared a bit of the same off-kilter sense of humor. I considered Tim a good friend.

Unfortunately, I never got to shake his hand or meet him, and I think that’s a shame. Reading about how his death has affected many others, I can see that I missed out on truly knowing a special person. As a proud Ben Davis Alum, Tim exuded Purple Pride and showed it by continuing to volunteer with the Ben Davis Band Program serving for years as one of its biggest supporters, cheerleaders, and constant promoters. He was a historian for the program and served as its videographer. None of that made him rich, but he made others’ lives rich…just like he did my life with a great comment on Facebook that made me laugh or smile.

I don’t pretend to know Tim Froman better than the people that met him, loved him, and knew him outside of the social media world, but his death hit me like that clich├ęd ton of bricks on Sunday. I have a lot of people I take for granted. After Sunday, I hope I’m less likely to do that.

Tim, you seem to have meant so much to so many. Thanks for making a difference in the lives of so many people and so many students. You will be missed, rest in peace.  Today is Tim's funeral visitation and his funeral is tomorrow.  My thoughts are with his friends and family at this tough time.

No comments: