Thursday, December 20, 2012

In Memoriam: Brian Patrick Benson

Brian Benson
photo from Facebook
The Marion County Coroner today identified the man killed in the Fountain Square pedestrian accident as 22-year-old Brian Benson.

Benson and Indiana Stonewall Democrats President Aaron Schaler were walking on a sidewalk along Prospect Street in Fountain Square when a van driven by Joseph Crandall jumped the curb for some unknown reason and hit the pair. Crandall told police he was in a rush, according to reports.  Schaler sustained several injuries and is recovering in the hospital. Unfortunately, Benson died on the scene after news reports say he was dragged under the van for over 60 feet.

As many of you know, I teach at Ben Davis High School, and Benson graduated from BD in 2008. I did not ever have him in class or have any contact that I remember with Benson, but many of my former students did. They are pouring their hearts out over on Benson’s Facebook page.

Facebook sometimes becomes an impromptu tribute to those that are lost. You can learn a lot about a person from what is posted there. In just a few minutes, I learned a lot about a man I had never met. I learned he was a talented actor and singer. I learned from many of his friends and their posts that he was the kind of person that you could go to with your problems. I also got to hear him perform.


Suddenly, I felt a sense of loss, too.

What is to follow is some of those old clich├ęs, but life is certainly precious. You just never know when it’s your time or when a loved one will no longer be there. That’s why we have to hold each other tight and love like it’s going out of style. That sense of love binds us together in tragic times like these.

Continued recovery wishes go out to my good friend Aaron Schaler who, according to his friends, is in good spirits considering everything he’s been through. Aaron is a strong person who will get through this tragic circumstance, but he’s going to need a lot of love and support to help him.

My deepest condolences go out to all the friends and family members dealing with the loss of Brian Benson. I wish I would have known him like you did. I get the feeling that I missed out on someone pretty special.

No comments: