Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mourdock: When Life Begins Due to Rape, "It is something that God intended to happen."

Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock had a great debate performance going.  He was dominating the landscape and being aggressive against Andrew Horning and his main opponent (per the polling), Joe Donnelly, who was playing the more above the fray role.
Richard Mourdock

Then, around the 36 minute mark of the debate, things started coming unglued for Mourdock.  He was giving a routine answer on partisanship when he seemed to get a little choked up.  That's ok.  Nothing John Boehner hasn't done.  About nine minutes later, his campaign may have run off the rails.

Giving an answer on the issue of abortion, Mourdock, who like the other three candidates is anti-choice, said that he struggled with the issue.  He agreed that abortion in the case of threatening the life of the mother is permissible, but then he went in an entirely new direction.  

I'll just let his words speak for themselves, "I've struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God. And even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen."

I don't even know how to respond to that.  I'm gonna have to let it sit.  My first inclination is just to explode about how Mourdock's view of God and mine are entirely different, but I'll hold off and get back with you.  

I'll only say this.  Richard Mourdock, with that view, is not qualified to be Indiana Treasurer much less Senator from my great home state.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to jim Bopp and Herr Mourdock himself,,this campaign is toast.