Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Some Anxious for Gregg to Get Going

Former House Speaker
John Gregg
John Gregg has less cash on hand than Mike Pence, and he clearly remembers the problems that Jill Long Thompson encountered in 2008 when she ran short of campaign cash at a critical time. That doesn't make his largely earned-media campaign easier to swallow for some Hoosiers.

This past weekend I was cornered by a potential Gregg supporter.  Knowing my political stripes and blogging background, his person asked me what was going on with the Gregg campaign and why his campaign seemed to be on the slow roll out plan.

I didn't really have an answer.  Not a good one, anyway.  I just said that Gregg was probably waiting until Labor Day.  "He can't do that," said this person.  "We need to hear from him now."

Did I mention that this person was not what you would consider a liberal Democrat?  This individual is someone concerned about education policy in Indiana, and I think there are more people out there just like 'em.

I think as soon as practically possible, Gregg needs to begin expanding his message from earned to paid media.  While he's gotten good coverage so far, it's clearly not enough for at least a few potential future supporters.  We'll see what lies ahead for the man from Sandborn.

No comments: