Tuesday, August 28, 2012

So Over the Fat Jokes

Chris Christie
Tonight, Chris Christie addressed the Republican convention.

While much of the banter of Facebook and in social media surrounded the content of his speech, a dirty under current simply discounted what the man had to say and went right for something that's an easy target.  That's Chris Christie's weight.

I'm tired of it.

If there's one thing I have in common with the Governor of New Jersey, it's that we both probably should turn down a buffet line every once in a while.  We can't hide that.  Neither of us can.  I've gotten comments here before about my weight, and I've even seen it pop up in other places before.  I'd  be lying if I told you that it didn't bother me a little.  For the most part, people will never tell you to your face, but you know it's there.  Yes, I'm fat.  Deal with it.  Now, can we get on with the politics?

If you're going to disagree with my politics or Chris Christie's politics, do it.  I don't care what you think about that, but PLEASE try to understand that the fat jokes are too easy.  It's why, for the most part, I try to stay away from that type of stuff here on the blog, altogether.

Yes, I'm not perfect, but I am not going to make fun of Chris Christie's weight to score points on him.  Fact of the matter is, of all the Republicans in the United States in public life, Chris Christie might be one of my top ten favorites.  I don't agree with him politically at all, and I find what he's done to education in New Jersey sad.  He has, however, worked across the aisle on many projects in the state with Democrats like Cory Booker.  On top of that, he's blunt, and he's crass.  He's not afraid of that side of his personality.

I'll say it again.  I'm just over the fat jokes.

2 comments:

Doug said...

I don't go in for the fat jokes myself; any more than I've participated in the short jokes for Gov. Daniels. But, the one thing that might make fat jokes fair game for Christie is that he's a bully; and I think he uses his size for intimidation. If I'm not wrong about that thought, it would make his size a legitimate target.

Anonymous said...

Jon,

Making fun of a politician's personal traits comes with the territory. Being fat is part of who Christie is, just like Dubya's poor speaking skills, or John Edwards' perfect hair, or Mitch Daniels' short stature, or John Gregg's mustache, or Walorski's, uh, appearance.

From what I understand Mitch isn't too fond of people poking fun of his height challenges, but it never stopped him from being in the public eye, because he had a cause to fight for.

And Chris Christie is the last politician who's feelings I'll worry about. If Christie can yell at his constituents and call veterans who ask him tough questions idiots, I'm pretty sure he better be prepared to take some fat jokes.

He'll learn to take them on one of his chins. Besides,I think he can handle it, he's got some pretty thick skin. :)

Seriously though, I don't consider it acceptable to make fun of the appearances of average joe's, but when a politician with a big ego takes the center stage, he's asking for jokes to be made about him. It's just something you have to be prepared for.