Friday, July 13, 2012

Thinking Out Loud

Yesterday, over a lunch at Bru Burger Bar downtown on Mass Ave., I did some thinking about the blog and the direction it's headed.

Putting together something for nearly every day of the year is not always easy. Some blog posts write themselves, and, others, well...it's like pulling teeth through my nostrils. I just try to keep things consistent and true to my own values and true to what I think you might want to read. I try to keep my posts short, sweet, and to the point. I try to throw in a little humor where I can, and I try not to tie up too much time. If I can't do something succinctly, I'm not going to do it at all here. I don't have the time to write it, and you don't have the time to read it. Many times, I'll start banging out a blog post and realize it's going nowhere. Those posts end up on the editing room floor, so to speak. You never see them.

Why I'm having this introspective streak? Well, I honestly don't know where this blog is going from here, and that is ok. I feel as if we have accomplished a lot together, but I honestly wonder what more could we do? What is the next step? Frankly, I wonder sometimes why anyone cares what I have to say or what makes people stop by over breakfast, a cup of coffee, or whenever you read me.

What's funny is that every time I feel that way, I get a comment or an e-mail or I meet someone that keeps me going. Before I went to Bru yesterday, I met someone that told me they read my posts everyday. It honestly humbles me each time I hear those comments from someone I've met or, in yesterday's case, someone I've never met before. That's like a rush of hot air into my balloon, and I rise on that energy.

Anyway, enough blog soul searching. I just want you all to know how much I appreciate your readership no matter where you come from, how you found me, or whether or not we know each other. The fact that you take a part of your day to read my ramblings here is extremely appreciated.

I'm not going anywhere for a while, and I don't know what's next. This blog will always be an integral part of what I do as a political commentator. As long as you keep reading, I'll keep writing.

In the words of Tom Bodett, "We'll leave the light on for you."

5 comments:

marksmall2001 said...

I feel obliged to respond. I read your blog (nearly) every morning. You provide good insight, with which I do not always agree, on issues, with a good blend of humor, at the appropriate times and not in a mean way. You also provide facts, about local matters, the coverage of which was the stuff of local newspapers. That aspect of our local blogs is a critical source of information. So overall, keep at it. But then, I also read "Ogden on Law" and "Advance Indiana," and have the Cubs' home page on my "favorites" button so my common sense might be questioned by some.

Gene Debs V said...

Blog writing must be difficult because it seems to require immediate comment on the issue of the moment and a certain level of outrage at just about everything. I read your blog almost daily because it's a great clearinghouse of information about what's up with Hoosier Democrats. Please keep up the good work.

That said, I'd like for your blog to be voice of truly progressive Democratic causes. The Party needs voices that highlight the distinctions between us and the rebooblicans. I'm tired of Hoosier Democrats who run as pale imitations of cultural reactionaries

guy77money said...

Hey Jon, your more fair and balanced then FOX. :) Enough jokes just keep blogging and don't forget to throw in the occasional joke and musical score.

Suzanne said...

I'm in Indiana and have been looking for a good Democratic blog -- found you a few days ago and have been reading. I want to know what is going on here. I'm 64 and my first vote was for Vance Hartke for Senator. He was against the Vietnam war and won by a narrow margin, but he won. And our other senator was Democrat Birch Bayh. I'd like news about Democrats and action I can take, but I think one thing we have to do is educate voters and balance the effect of Fox News. I don't mind others having a conservative view at all, but the fear, anger and untruths -- no. I think people need to know what is really going on.

I just glanced through a few of your posts and didn't see any notice of First Lady Michele Obama's visit to Indianapolis.

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012
4:00 in the afternoon

At Lucas Oil Stadium
500 South Capitol Avenue
Indianapolis, IN

RSVP online at: https://my.barackobama.com/July22IndianapolisReception

I'm afraid I've just skimmed your posts so far and I'm looking forward to taking a better look.

Anonymous said...

There must have been a huge response for tickets to see Michelle Obama that the venue was changed to Lucas Oil Stadium. I hope they fill the place. It will send a good message about Indiana.