Sunday, July 22, 2012

In Memoriam: Remembering the Colorado Shooting Victims

Photo from Denver's KUSA, 9News

So many times I have sat in a movie theater and looked at the exit doors up front, but I never thought of a crazed gunman busting through one.  Now, because of what happened in Colorado early Friday morning, I will.

I hope I never see what those people in Theater 9 of the Century Cinema 16 in Aurora, Colorado saw coming through that door.  You never can tell.  Nothing is ever certain in this life.  That's the long term cost of this horrible event for me.  Thinking about what if for a while now every time I'm in a movie theater.

For the survivors of the shooting, it will be far different.  My horror is their reality.  They saw someone come busting through that door and gun down friends and strangers.  They will never be the same.  For them, life changed in a few moments.

For the victims and their families and friends, it may sound like an understatement, but so much has been taken.  The 12 people that lost their lives had a variety of careers and experiences.  On July 20, 2012, their many different life threads brought them together to be entertained.  Their life threads would be cut short.  Every one of them.  The families now will live with the losses.  Knowing how senseless these killings were, it can't make it any easier.

Still, we hear stories of human sacrifice.  People diving in front of each other and taking bullets for their friends or family members.  We hear how people went back into the theater after the shooting stopped to help.  We are reminded that in the face of terror and horror that people come together to show how good we can be.

Today, I want to take a moment and express my deepest condolences to all the victims, their families and friends, and to the entire Denver community.  I also want to send a special get well thought to all the survivors.  I want to praise the first responders.  They were on the scene in 90 seconds, according to news reports and quickly apprehended the alleged shooter.

In honor of the victims, this blog will go dark until Thursday.  No posting until then.  Please take the time you normally take reading this blog to think about the victims, the survivors, and all those affected by this horrible tragedy.  Don't take one moment for granted.

1 comment:

Kelly Jones said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I'm crying as I type this. I think all too often people forget about the first responders who were on scene to help the victims. It is hard to imagine what the first responders of the Aurora shooting and the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting will live with the rest of their lives. Yes, the victims of these senseless shootings will have to move forward and find peace, and my heart goes out to them, but we must not forget those responders who also must move forward and help those individuals the next time something so senseless happens.