Monday, July 9, 2012

Donnelly's Best Message: He's Not Mourdock

Congressman Joe Donnelly
As I read Matt Tully's seeming endorsement of Joe Donnelly in the Indianapolis Star, I was struck again by exactly what makes Donnelly a more appealing choice this November than the alternatives.

Tully says that Donnelly has a great message, but it's not that his message is so inspiring to me or anything.  The choice that I will make in the voter's booth in November comes down to the fact that Donnelly's the candidate that's not named Richard Mourdock with an actual chance to win.

Yeah, that's not a ringing endorsement, I know.  I was appalled by Donnelly's vote to find Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress.  However principled it might have been, I would have rather him stood up, like Andre Carson did, against this kangaroo court-type action by the Republicans in the House and walked out.  His other votes that I question include votes to redefine rape and to reaffirm DOMA.  Reluctantly, I can get over all that though because Richard Mourdock is more than just partisan.

Richard Mourdock an ideologue. His ideas extend far outside what the mainstream of the Republican Party is or once was. I think that's evident for a man that even has advocated, among a slew of other things, that we no longer directly elect Senators even though that has been in the Constitution since the beginning of the 20th Century. Those kinds of redefinitions of what is and isn't constitutional worry me.

Now, there are other choices in this race, that's true.  Libertarian Andy Horning is a nice man, but, despite his intelligence and knowledge, he has trouble convincing me that he can get enough votes to win as a Libertarian in Indiana.  It's never happened, and I fail to see how a guy that's run for Governor of Indiana and Mayor of Indianapolis as a Libertarian without pulling too many votes his way can win an expensive statewide election.  Horning is worthy of your vote, don't get me wrong.  I just want my vote to make a difference.  There's also some independent out there too, but, if he qualifies for the ballot, he has no shot.

That means that, even though I find many of his views troubling, I will cast my vote for Joe Donnelly.  I won't be enthusiastic about it, but I'm going to do it. Richard Mourdock is just too wrong for Indiana.

4 comments:

Josh Featherstone said...

Andy Horning IS worthy if your vote. I encourage you, and all voters, to stand on their principles and vote for the person you think would be best for the job instead of voting for the lesser of two evils. "Could they win?" shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

I'm somewhat personally insulted by this post. It says my vote is a wasted one because I, with pride, will vote for Andy Horning.

I don't believe any vote is a wasted one, if it's based on voting for who I believe would be best for the job. You obviously disagree.

Jon Easter said...

I was speaking of MY vote. You can do what you want with your vote, Josh.

Andy is a great guy and a great candidate. A vote on him is not a waste.

Anonymous said...

You left out another of his votes that irked me -- he backed someone else against Nancy Pelosi for leader of House Dems. I couldn't see it then and I can't see it now, and if I meet him in person I will tell him my vote is "in spite of" that. I guess he won't really care, though.

Josh Featherstone said...

It just concerns me that you choose to vote for a candidate because you want your vote to "make a difference." I feel all votes make a difference no matter what.

And since you use that reasoning to say why you won't vote for the candidate I will be voting for, you also say that my vote makes no difference and is thus wasted.