Thursday, May 10, 2012

In Case You Were Wondering...Donnelly's Anti-Marriage Equality

Joe Donnelly wants to put your family to work.  That is unless you are a family with a mommy and a mommy or a daddy and a daddy.  Then, he doesn't think you guys should be married.

It's no shock really.  Donnelly has expressed this position before, and, now, he's on the record again.

Donnelly has a checkered record on LGBT issues.  Not only does he not believe someone should be able to marry the one they love, he's also voted against adding sexual orientation to the hate crimes bill as well as a laundry list of other important issues to liberal Democrats.

Between this and his votes to defund planned parenthood, his opposition to the DREAM Act and his quizzical "redefining rape" vote...you have to check the little party initial by his name sometimes.

I know, I'm being a hypocrite.  I'm criticizing Joe Donnelly for voting against his party when I praised Richard Lugar.  Maybe I am.  But, like I've said before, I'm not going to spend the next six months bashing Donnelly for what he's not.  He is what he is.  That's better by far than Richard Mourdock.  Still, I feel shortchanged.

I started feeling shortchanged in 2012, but I talked face-to-face with Brad Ellsworth, and he was delightful.  He wasn't going to make the leap to supporting gay marriage, but he said he would concede on other things important to LGBT families and support those things.

I wonder if a similar conversation with Donnelly might alleviate my fears.  But, for now, I have to say...Come on, though, Joe.  Really?  I hope he realizes that a vote for Horning isn't a vote for Mourdock either, but I think Donnelly needs his base on this.

So, on Saturday, when I attend the rally with Donnelly, John Gregg, and Congressman Andre Carson, a Muslim that supports gay rights, I may have to remind the future Senator Donnelly (and Governor Gregg) that if Carson can do it, so can you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Joe!

Lawyer said...

I am a strong Democrat who is going to scratch the Donelly/Mourdock race because I do not believe either candidate is qualified to serve in the U.S. Senate. Who knows, if the moderate Republicans scratch Mourdock and the Dems scratch Donelly - maybe we won't elect anyone!

Had Enough Indy? said...

Sigh. Why is equality such a hurdle in this State? At least the young people get it, so there is hope for the future.

Anonymous said...

While society is more tolerant according to the polls, in 32 states that have had an referendum on the issue, ALL have outlawed same sex marriage.

By forcing the president on this issue, you have alienated the populous of 32 states.

See how that good feeling of success feels when you lose the election for people you support to a bunch of right wing nuts who don't have ANY tolerance.

Stupid.