Monday, May 21, 2012

Gregg to Pick Simpson

According to almost every major Indiana political reporter, Democratic Gubernatorial nominee John Gregg is set to make Senator Vi Simpson his running mate tomorrow on the steps of the Indiana Statehouse.
Senator Vi Simpson

Simpson considered a run for Governor last year, but she dropped out to make room for Gregg.  Ironically, Gregg actually endorsed Simpson for Governor when she ran for the office in 2004.  Simpson dropped out of that race when Governor Joe Kernan entered.

Simpson has been in the Indiana Senate since 1984.  For the past several years, she has served as the Minority Leader in the Senate for the Democratic Caucus.

Not only will Simpson be an excellent campaigner with a wealth of experience, she will appeal to the liberal wing of the Indiana Democratic Party which is something that just doesn't happen too often at the state level.  Simpson's presence on the ticket should help with fundraising because she can definitely raise money from a wide variety of sources.

To be honest, I was on the fence about whether I would go to Fort Wayne for the Indiana Democratic Convention in June (as I am a delegate).  It's a long drive.  When I heard that Simpson was to be Gregg's running mate, I immediately booked my room and will be paying my delegate fee, and I have a feeling I'm not alone.  Simpson is the kind of candidate I want to work for, and she will inspire the base to work hard to get John Gregg elected.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jon, its just the same old soup, just warmed over. What about some fresh blood? Vi is smart,but not electable.