Friday, March 23, 2012

IDP Focusing on Wrong Race

I've written on this blog about how I disagree with the tactics of the Indiana Democratic Party on the 2012 Senate Race.

They are focusing a great deal of time, energy, and resources on defeating Richard Lugar in the Republican Primary.  My position is: Richard Mourdock doesn't need any help right now.  Polls are showing that he's doing fine on his own, and Lugar keeps helping him!  The man who does need the party's help is John Gregg.

The Indiana Democratic Party has a website up to take on Mike Pence, but they really aren't doing much with it.  Right now would be a perfect time to be targeting Pence and telling Hoosiers about his record in Congress.  Fact is, he's done little but carry others' water in Congress.

John Gregg, for that matter, is awfully quiet, and this is the time for him to be noisy.  I think I would be focusing on earned media right now.  We should be hearing something from him right now on something, and I am not hearing much.  I think the stakes for this 2012 election are very high.  We need a Democrat in the Governor's Office to balance the Republicans in the legislature.

All of this said, I'm sure smarter people than I am are working on this campaign.  If that's the case, excuse me for being impatient.

Here's the latest ad on Richard Lugar released by the IDP.  I must admit...it's a little obscure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you are very impatient just relax a few months. Mike Pence has been quite too. Both of them have already won their Primary. Just take a chill pill and relax.

Anonymous said...

You are so correct. Where is the state party? Are we headed toward another Jill Long Thompson?

Jon E. Easter said...

I may be impatient, but I believe that the Governor's race is much more important than the Senate race given the climate in the Statehouse.

It's hard to "take a chill pill" when you're gay or a woman in Indiana right now knowing that Mike Pence may be just a few months from taking office. If that happens, it will be a sad day for Indiana.

That's why the Indiana Democratic Party needs to start now to make sure that Indiana knows what it will get by electing Mike Pence.