Sunday, February 19, 2012

In Memoriam: Whitney Houston (1963-2012)

Today in New Jersey, Whitney Houston will be laid to rest after 48 years on this Earth.  It's much too soon for us to be talking about her death, but I don't think many of us were surprised when we got the news last weekend.

This past week has been all about controversy about flags at half staff and whether or not an addict can save themselves from their addictions.  For me, Whitney's death was a little like Michael Jackson's.  A part of my childhood died.

I can remember waking up to the sounds of Whitney Houston on my clock radio, and she was telling me that she believed that I, as an 11-year-old boy, was the future of society.  I didn't know other artists had done "The Greatest Love of All" before her, but that's really the first song of Whitney's that connected with me.  It spoke to me and showed to me that how being your own person can lead you to find your strength in learning to love yourself.  It was a positive message in a sea of negative ones...even then...for a young person like me.

Today, we'd probably consider a song like that hokey or cheesy.  For me, I will always remember those summer mornings in 1986 with Whitney telling me to believe in myself.  I just wish she could have followed her own advice.

Whitney, you will be missed.

No comments: