Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Republican Senator Loses All Connection to Reality

Sen. Jim Tomes, R-Wadesville
Sometimes I use the phrase that I’ve been around long enough to know that I’ve seen it all. A bill introduced in the Indiana Senate yesterday once again proves that I haven’t seen anything.

Senator Jim Tomes, a Republican from Indiana’s 49th District in extreme southwest Indiana has introduced Senate Bill 251 that would allow a public or Indiana charter school board to require the reading of the Lord’s Prayer at the beginning of school each day.

Think about that: a public school REQUIRING the reading of the Lord’s Prayer. Think about a teacher being REQUIRED to read the Lord’s Prayer…even if they are not Christian.

I have no words for this one; none that I can put here anyway.

We elect some pretty interesting people to public office, don’t we?

UPDATE
In my research to find out a little more information about the good Senator, I found this tidbit from a 2011 guest column Tomes wrote.

At some point, in a country and state where the people rule, we the people must decide what kind of role we want our government to take. Do we need a government nanny?
Apparently, that doesn't extend to our classrooms where Tomes feels it necessary to push his religion on the rest of us.

No comments: