Wednesday, December 7, 2011

An Open Letter to "Christian" Rick Perry

After watching the most narrow-minded and homophobic political ad I've ever seen, I decided to write an open letter to the candidate that approved it, Rick Perry.



Dear Rick Perry,
Your ad makes me ill. It makes me sad. It makes me scared for the future of our country. If a person with views like yours can be taken seriously as a Presidential candidate...even for five minutes...then I really weep for your wing of the Republican Party.

I am not the most religious person in the world, but I think I understand what true Christianity is, and it's not what you think it is.

True Christianity has nothing to do with your made up "War on Christmas" or the fact that students (and teachers) actually do openly pray in public schools every day, but it has everything to do with your skewed view of religion, faith, and sexuality.

Faith is not religion. Sexuality has nothing to do with either. The fact that gays and lesbians can openly serve in our military is not a liberal attack or an attack from President Obama on anything. It's a sign that our country is moving in the right direction.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a Christian too, and I don't ever need to be in the pew on Sunday to know that something is wrong in this country when someone calling themselves a Christian attacks a group of people who have done nothing but wish to serve their country openly.

So, Mr. Perry, I ask that you immediately erase all trace that this ad ever existed, and I ask that you apologize to the gay men and women serving this country proudly in uniform that keep your right to call yourself a Christian despite your narrow and homophobic views safe.

While you're at it, immediately suspend your campaign. Your views will only do more harm to our military and to LGBT Americans.

Thank you,
Jon E. Easter

6 comments:

HOOSIERS FOR FAIR TAX said...

Ditto!

Anonymous said...

As of the time I watched it there were 117,008 dislikes and only 2,822 likes on the YouTube site... that made my night.

varangianguard said...

Transport pilots tend to be an overly opinionated lot, in my experience.

Jordan said...

Rick Perry and the rest of the clowns campaigning right now scare the hell out me. If a liberal said something remotely similar about the troops they'd be labeled as un-american. I'm sick and tired of the tea party and the religious right....hell the left for that matter as well. No one is looking out for the interest of the people, at least not on the federal level.

Jedna Vira said...

If you are a Christian then it's a bit concerning that you think "sexuality" has nothing to do with faith and/or religion. "Sexuality", as you like to call it, is talked about quite a bit in the Bible. I'm wondering who has twisted Christianity to meet their own personal desires: Rick Perry or You.

Jessica said...

like. no wait. TRIPLE like.