Friday, November 4, 2011

Friday Hodge Podge: Cardwell's Grating Ad, Advance Indiana Takes Shot at Coleman, Coleman vs. Sandlin, Victory Celebrations


Cardwell Gets Cheesy
Jeff Cardwell's hardware stores may be a part of the "Do It Best" franchise, but his political ads need work. For the past few weeks, the District 23 City-County Councillor has been playing these grandiose, self-back-patting radio ads that nearly want to make me throw up.

The ad talks about Cardwell's Christian background, and it explains his community activities. The ad also says that many people call him "the most giving person they know."

That may be true Jeff, but why not put some of those people in your ads saying it rather than handing a script to a radio announcer. It doesn't sound right. In fact, it sounds pretty bad.

As John Wooden said, "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

Hopefully, by an Election Day Miracle, Scott Coxey prevails and provides a little humility for Cardwell's self-described "servant's heart".

Welsh on Coleman
Yesterday, Gary Welsh took a potshot at Ed Coleman for spending over $800 on a suits at Men's Wearhouse.

I must admit; it is somewhat of a strange purchase to show up on a campaign report, but the man did receive $50K in money from the National Libertarian Party. He can afford it.

Speaking of Coleman
Sources are telling me that Coleman is making a possible dent in Jack Sandlin's ego. One source reports to me that through another reliable source Sandlin was so incensed by a negative mailer (not from the Coleman camp) directed at him that he was shaking mad.

Coleman vs. Sandlin may be another race to watch on election night.

VICTORY IS MINE...NO MINE...NO MINE...IT'S MINE!
This week, the Marion County Democrats and the Marion County GOP released the locations of their after-election parties.

The Republicans will meet up at the Murat Theatre at Old National Center Egyptian Room. They will start at 6:00 p.m. and run through 11:00 p.m.

Dems will take over the Indiana Roof Ballroom starting at 6:30 p.m.

Libertarians will be in a tent at Ed Coleman's house (just kidding). No word yet from the Libertarians on where they will be meeting up.

7 comments:

Josh Featherstone said...

The Libertarians will be meeting at the new Rupert for Governor campaign headquarters downtown.

Josh Featherstone said...

FWIW, though, I laughed out loud at your tent joke.

Chris Spangle said...

Ed was diagnosed with diabetes, and walked his entire district. Some donors gave money towards new suits for his commercial and to look presentable. It's pretty explainable, but Welsh didn't bother to ask.

Jon E. Easter said...

That explains it, Chris. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

He didn't make it to my door and I live in #24. But he still got my vote so Jack wouldn't get a free vote. And I hope the close Mayor race will bring more D's out in Perry Township and then Mr. Coxey will win big down here!! I know for a fact that Scott has worn holes in is shoes knocking on doors.

Ed Coleman said...

I have made it a point not to comment on blogs this year as words tend to get misrepresented later. I can say that this has been a hectic. It seems like something bad hit me at every turn. I always worked through it. I owe a big thanks to my volunteers and staff.

In July I was diagnosed with diabetes. As a nurse for a living, I take it very seriously and have kept strict on my diet.
I have tried to walk the entire district as well. Between the diet and canvassing I have lost around 70 pounds. I am very proud of that fact.

That being said, my clothes were not fitting well. My largest donors knew of and approved purchasing new suits for the duration of the campaign for the commercial and appearances. I actually have made a decision to donate the suits to Second Helpings after the election so the students in need can have clothes to use when they go to interview for new jobs.

Anonymous, Sorry I did not hit your door. I had surgery on my shoulder 5 weeks ago and it had put a stop to my walking for a while. It is my understanding though that between myself and my volunteers we hit the entire district. Thank you for supporting me though. Get in touch with me soon and I will happily come talk with you.

Jon, you are more than welcome to come by to our election night party if you have time. With all my volunteers, staff and personal efforts it should be a good night for us.

Jon E. Easter said...

Councillor,
I hope you're doing well. I have been tested a number of times for diabetes given my weight, and I have turned up negative thus far. I know I need to lose weight, so I take my hat off to you.

Best of luck on Election Day!