Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Bowen Lucky, Thank Goodness


Politics is just a hobby for me. I’ve dabbled in it. I’ve run for office, but it’s my diversion. For some people, it’s their livelihood, and it is how they make a living. For me, I just enjoy the strategy, the game, and the fun of watching it.

Politics takes a back seat when you hear news about the people who participate in it. When bad things happen to good people, it makes you really stop and think. That has apparently happened to Libertarian candidate for Mayor, Chris Bowen.

Bowen has impressed me in this campaign with his breadth of knowledge and his ability to speak on issues of importance to the city. I also know that he seems to be a good father who is concerned about his family. I paused for a moment today when I heard that Bowen had been in a serious car accident.

On his Facebook page, Bowen recounted being cut off by another driver exiting on a freeway ramp. He says he rolled his car twice and was in the hospital Monday night. I was glad to hear that he was able to post this on his web page.

Listen, politics gets nasty, and it’s sometimes like the lions vs. the gladiators out there, but, when something like this happens, it’s important to come together and say, “That was close.”

Last night, Chris Bowen wasn’t the Libertarian nominee for Mayor, he was one of the many people in car accidents every day in our city. He was just like you and just like me, and it reminds us that at any moment…no matter who you are…it can all come crashing down in an instant.

For Chris’ family and friends, I’m glad that it wasn’t his time. He’s been a consistent and strong advocate for better city government, and we need his voice in the game. My best wishes for the speediest of recoveries.

2 comments:

Josh Featherstone said...

Thanks for this writing, Jon. I can't speak for Bowen, but I am sure he appreciates your support!

Mike Kole said...

I appreciate this post, and was likewise appreciative of Ed Treacy's release echoing supportive sentiments. Civility is a refreshing thing. Many thanks!