Wednesday, November 2, 2011

And Now a Message from Your Indicted Secretary of State...


Indiana’s Secretary of State, Republican Charlie White, wants to remind you that you need to bring your state or federally-issued photo identification with you to the polls. It’s a good reminder, but it’s hard not to find the messenger, a man who was indicted for voter fraud, a bit ironic.

White, who has found new ways beyond his indictment to be an embarrassment to the state and to his office, has about as much credibility as I do in telling you to eat healthy, as Abdul does in telling you to stop smoking cigars, and as Pat Bauer does in telling you how to wear your hair.

So, if you’re like me and don’t believe anything Charlie White says, listen to Marion County Clerk Beth White who always reminds folks to bring that state or federally-issued photo ID with them to the polls on Election Day.

Yes. It's that time again to make sure your ID is in order to vote in Indiana. Your voter registration name needs to conform to the name on the ID you wish to bring (For example, Jon for Jonathan is fine, but Michael for Herman might cause you trouble). The ID can be expired, but it would have had to expire after November 2, 2010 (the 2010 General Election). If you go to the BMV, they are supposed to provide you an ID for free if you tell them you need it to vote and cannot afford the fee. Here’s a handy dandy checklist for your ID.

I know I actually had to go home and get my ID. I was buying a car around the time of the election, and I had taken my ID out of my wallet. When I went to vote, I realized this and got that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I went home to find it in my pants pocket.

It’s also a good time to remind you that if your license expires sometime in 2012, you can renew it up to a year in advance. Mine expires in July, so I’m going to be doing it soon to avoid the big lines. It’s not as easy as it used to be with the new requirements. Visit here for more information on renewing your license.

2 comments:

Lawyer said...

Charlie White giving election law advice?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Ben said...

Who would believe a word that comes out of this mans mouth.One would have thought that Mitch would have out a stop to this silliness.