Friday, August 12, 2011

Thoughts on Phil Hinkle

Some days reading the newspaper headlines is easy, and some days it’s not. Today was one of those latter days.

The Indianapolis Star has an extensive report on my longtime family friend, Rep. Phil Hinkle, and a personal matter. I’m not going to get into it.

I know that when many of my readers read the story that you probably had a reaction. Mine was shock.

I’ve known Phil for 36 years (he knew me before I was born), and I’ve known his family for my entire life. I went to kindergarten the first day in the same car as his daughter, J.J., and his son, Tony, was a couple of years behind me at Ben Davis. We used to be babysat by the same person, and I can remember playing with Star Wars figures with Tony. Barb, Phil’s wife, was a teacher of mine at Fulton Junior High School, and, when I became a teacher, I worked with her in her role as an officer of the Wayne Township Classroom Teachers Association.

Believe it or not, Phil Hinkle is a big reason why I blog here as often as I do. He was an early fan of the blog, and he would always encourage me to blog more often back at the time when I would post sporadically. In short, the Hinkles and the Easters go way back.

That’s why I can’t feel anything but pain and sorrow for the Hinkle family. I would like to take this time to tell the Hinkles that I’m thinking about them. If you can't tell, I take no joy from this story. In fact, I almost cried when I read it. I think Phil's family deserved better from their patriarch.

After he deals with whatever comes out of this story, I hope that Rep. Hinkle is able to get his life back together. I really do.

I won't be taking comments on this one.