Monday, August 22, 2011

Outta Touch with Mayor Ballard


I have an idea for a new show on WCTY, Channel 16. Let's call it Outta Touch with Mayor Greg Ballard.

I attended the United Democrats Picnic at Garfield Park, and there were over 200 people in attendance there to eat some good food, have some good conversation, and enjoy the afternoon. Melina Kennedy was of course there as were many of the incumbent and, hopefully, future incumbent City-County Councillors. The line of the day went to District 21 candidate Todd Woodmansee.

Woodmansee got up and gave a rousing speech. At the end, he brought up the words of a great band, "As Hall and Oates sang in the '80's, they're out of touch and, come November 8th, they're out of time." Great closing words in reference to Mayor Ballard and the Republicans, but it really a prescient statement given the interview I had heard driving to the picnic.

I was listening to the Jersey Johnny Show on 1070, the Fan. Mayor Ballard is a frequent guest on the program, and he was on talking about the upcoming Super Bowl and other sporting events. Jersey Johnny brought up the fact that 64,000 seats were sold for the Colts Friday night preseason game against the professional football team from Washington, D.C. Johnny said that even though all the seats were sold that there were a lot of unoccupied seats for the preseason game. He suggested that someone give tickets that they weren't going to use to a neighbor kid and his family so that they could experience an NFL game. Great suggestion!

Mayor Ballard said that he enjoys going to Colts games, "I'm at every game," said the Mayor. He says that he often gives access to the city suite to those that, "wouldn't otherwise get to go to the game." Then, he dropped this knowledge on the city of Indianapolis.

"It always amazes me the number of people that have never been in Lucas Oil Stadium," said the Mayor.

Well, Mr. Mayor, let me educate you. It costs money to go to LOS. Money that some people just don't have in Marion County. I was there at a high school event on Saturday night for the Peyback Classic. Tickets were $10 (though I was there as a media member). Parking was $10, and I paid $9.25 for the smallest Diet Coke and the smallest popcorn I could buy. Had I paid for a ticket, I'm out $29.25. Multiply that times four. That's a hefty amount even for a non-Colts event. For a Colts game, the cheapest ticket is $48 a seat.

The vast majority of the citizens of Indianapolis cannot afford to go to an event at Lucas Oil Stadium. When Lucas Oil Stadium was built, studies showed that almost 2/3 of the people that went to Colts games did not come from Marion County. These are your citizens, Mr. Mayor. Shouldn't you know that? I would think so.

That's why we need that show. Mayor Ballard is out of touch, and soon, he will be out of time. Thanks to Todd, we have the theme song.

3 comments:

The Hoosier Slant said...

Given the sorry, pitiful state of Barack Obama's economy, pretty soon Jim Irsay will have to lower his tickets to high school pricing levels.

Anonymous said...

What seems to be often overlooked is that a smaller number of people care about professional football - even without strikes and Michael Vicks, etc. Soccer is popular, people go to GenCon instead of Superbowl, and many other activities compete to replace old time football.
/s/Indy Oldtimer

Anonymous said...

Well, I could afford the admission and accoutrements at Lucas Oil Stadium, if I would so choose. But I haven't been there because (Drumroll, please) I can't think of any reason I would want to go there. Nothing about it sounds inviting to me in the least. I know I'm a heretic, thank you very much.