Monday, June 20, 2011

Sanders Departure Leaves Uncertainty on Ticket


Councillor Joanne Sanders chose her day job over her part time job, and I cannot fault her for it.

Privately, many insiders had wondered what what up with Sanders. Unlike her three At-Large ballot-mates, Sanders had not been making the rounds much, and it was usually because, according to insiders, she was out of town with her day job as a union representative. As you know, it's been a topsy turvy time for labor unions in this country.

It's going to be hard to replace Joanne Sanders. She has been a wonderful City-County Councillor drawing broad praise from both sides of the aisle for her work ethic. She has never been out to simply cash a check. She takes her job extremely seriously, and that's I think why she's taking this step...as she said in her statement, "For me, it’s an issue of fairness – I cannot do justice to the council, the campaign and my job over the next four years. So I must choose where my efforts will best be spent. After much soul searching, I have decided that my commitment to working people can best be met through my full time work. So, I will serve out this term and rally on a new class of councillors."

Sanders also was a survivor. She bucked the Republican wave of 2007 and became the sole At-Large incumbent to survive the election that year. She was poised to become Council President had she been reelected and the Democrats picked up the seats necessary to be in the majority. Her leadership will be missing next year should the Dems find themselves back on the plus side.

With that said, the door of opportunity opens for another candidate. It looks like Chairman Ed Treacy will be naming a replacement to the ballot. I would assume that it would be a female. I do not know who it will be, but there are many choices out there. Someone like former Lieutenant Governor Kathy Davis would bring instant stability and name recognition to the ticket. That is PURE speculation. Davis has turned down runs at the Mayor's Office and appears that she won't be running for Governor in 2012, either. Does a former Lieutenant Governor want to serve on the City-County Council? That is a question for more pure speculation.

At this point, it needs to be someone that can raise some campaign money and raise it quickly. That's why I don't think you'll see a new face.

2 comments:

Paul K. Ogden said...

I agree with everything except the last paragraph. Really cash doesn't matter that much in a low profile at-large race like that. It's almost purely a baseline race. It's going to be hard for any R to knock out any of the four at-large D candidates

Anonymous said...

How about Pat Andrews or Zach Anderson?