Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Vi Simpson Not Seeking Governor's Mansion


Indiana Senate Democratic Leader Vi Simpson of Bloomington has decided not to pursue the nomination for Governor in 2012.

Here is her statement:
“After discussing it with my family and friends and taking a few days to give it some quiet and serious thought, I have decided that I will not be a candidate for Governor at this time.

"I have been deeply moved by the hundreds of people across the state who believe in our shared ideals, and I am honored that they have encouraged me to carry their banner. However, this must be a personal decision based on what is best for my family and for me, and I feel satisfied with the decision we have made.

"I look forward to continuing to be a progressive voice in the Statehouse, to working to refocus the attention of state government on individual rights and economic equality rather than on radical social agendas and to helping elect Democrats to office in 2011, 2012 and beyond.”


The Indiana Democratic Party also reacted to Simpson's decision to not oppose John Gregg for the nomination:
“Vi has been and will continue to be a tremendous leader for Indiana Democrats, and she has long championed issues that improve the lives of Hoosiers across our state. I know she spent a great deal of time making this decision, and her support stretches far beyond her home district.

“That’s why I’m excited that she will be working this year and in 2012 to recruit top-notch candidates who will win their Indiana State Senate races next year and help us build our caucus in that legislative body.

“Vi has demonstrated time and again that she knows how to fight for middle class Hoosiers and make sure that everyone has a voice in the political process. We’re lucky to have her as an advocate, and we look forward to working with her on these critical campaigns.”


This is not a surprise after hearing some things I've been hearing and talking to some of the people in the know.

No comments: