Monday, May 9, 2011

Thoughts with Terry Curry This Monday


I heard on Saturday evening that Terry Curry would be undergoing bypass surgery today. This is something that's all too familiar for me and my family. My father had the surgery twice. He came through it both times and lived a little over 14 years after his second surgery with a pretty good quality of life for most of it.

I was shocked to hear that Terry would be undergoing the surgery mostly because he looks to be one of the most fit people I know, but the underpinning truth of the matter is that sometimes diet and exercise delay the inevitable. If heart disease runs in your family, that can be the contributing factor to your heart health.

Because of my own family experiences with heart disease, I couldn't help but thinking about Terry, his wife Sheila Marshall and the rest of the Curry family since I heard the news.

I first met Terry when he was running for Prosecutor. Early on, I was a supporter of Lowell "Butch" Shroyer. When Butch bowed out, he told me I should consider supporting Terry. I remember sitting down with Terry and my friend, Chris Jackson, over dinner at Joe's Crab Shack for dinner to talk about his campaign. Unlike most politicians I've talked to in a situation like that, Terry didn't buy. Terry didn't buy my support. He earned it.

It was much the same way he went about his campaign. It was mostly a ground game campaign that wasn't flashy, but it was effective. Again, Curry earned the support of voters with his plan for the office, and how he would be different from his predecessor. He stuck to his message, and he won in a year many Democrats did not...especially when the Governor was supporting their opponents.

Now, Terry needs our support once again. If you get a moment today, send a kind thought up for Terry Curry. He's done a phenomenal job as our Prosecutor, but he's an even better person and man. Here's to you Terry. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

No comments: