Thursday, May 26, 2011

Shameful Conduct from Washington Street Politics


One thing that I always try to do is be fair to people. When I'm not, I own up, and I take responsibility. Maybe some on the right should be doing the same today.

The Washington Street Politics blog took one line out of one post and utilized it to fit a post's larger theme. In this case, it was my recent post on the pace of road repair. In that post, I took one line to provide some possible legitimate reasons why road repair might actually need to be done in Indianapolis. I said, "The Super Bowl could be one reason, and the fact that some of these areas of the city really needed the work."

Somehow that one line out of an entire blog post was taken out to somehow make an argument about how Mayor Peterson's administration did not do its job in updating infrastructure.

I guess I needed to be more specific. Maybe I should have typed in all caps. Hey, Washington Street Politics, perhaps these areas of the city needed the work because of three years of inactivity from Mayor Greg Ballard. It could also be the work of years of Republican Administrations kicking the can down the road.

We all know the truth here. Mayor Peterson was one of the most successful Mayors on updating infrastructure in this city. His plan to update the sewer system in Marion County was the first time that any Mayor had taken on that problem. It was one of the so-called tax increases Republicans used against Peterson in 2007.

Secondly, many of the successes Greg Ballard claims (convention center, JW Marriott, Super Bowl, Lucas Oil Stadium) now were all hatched under the previous administration. If, for example, the city had not gone for the 2010 Super Bowl under Mayor Peterson, it's likely it would not have had the game awarded to Indianapolis the very next year.

What has Ballard done on his own? I think it's fair to say sell or lease off city assets to make quick bucks to do things to get re-elected. I'm not questioning his honesty or integrity. I'm questioning his politics, and that's what I was doing in that post.

Furthermore, the folks at WSP accused me of using Melina Kennedy's talking points. I don't engage in the use of talking points. Content that comes from a campaign will always be clearly indicated. I let the campaigns do their own talking, and I will occasionally publish a news release in full. I did not receive any help or guidance on the roadwork post other than talking to people not associated with Melina's campaign and hearing the WIBC news report.

I wouldn't expect the folks at WSP to tell you this, though.

I could try their own methods against them. In a post right after the primary election, WSP wrote about the number of votes Democrats got in the primary, "Did the Democrats have more votes? Sure." See, Republicans even understand the tide in Marion County is turning blue. By acknowledging that Democrats have more primary votes they are essentially saying that Mayor Ballard is failing to energize his own voters and motivate them to the polls.

See how that works, I just lifted that one line and turned it into something it wasn't.

That was fun! Maybe I should do it more. Nah. I've got some shred of journalistic integrity left.

Now, back to my hiatus.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I usually agree with you, WSP is right. You are soft when it comes to Ballard and you try and soft peddle the campaign of Melina Kennedy. She is a strong candidate and despite your personal perferences, you should realize that she is strong and going to be the next mayor of Indy. Your approach of appeasement sucks.

SW Lane said...

uhh...1:39am.... was that intended for Indiana Barrister?

Anonymous said...

No, it was intended for this blog...Indiana Barrister is another story.

Jon E. Easter said...

You know, I was wondering if I should even respond to this comment. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't respond to comments. I feel I need to respond to this one.

I'm sorry if you feel that I am soft when it comes to Greg Ballard. Ballard is my most often written about topic here, and I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of that stuff isn't positive. But, I don't need to defend myself to an anonymous poster who isn't even "hard" enough to leave his or her name. Thanks for your comments though.

As far as this blog, I think most people know that I call things like I see them. I am not going to purposefully take an extreme stance just to pound a politician. I believe what I write here.

The aim of this blog is not to throw out red meat everyday or see if I can yell louder than Ed Schultz or Dana Loesch or Rush Limbaugh or Alan Colmes or anyone. The purpose of this blog is for political opinion and discussion. Sometimes you may agree with me and other times you may not. That's fine.

In short, I'm not going to beat someone over the head with bombastic language just to make a political point. If that makes me "soft" then fine. At the end of the day, I have to sleep at night. I'd rather be honest than to lie to the readers about my views.

So, let me be clear, if you want a red meat blog, take it elsewhere. Nine times out of 10 you're not going to get it here.

As far as my opinions of Melina Kennedy, she's going to be an awesome Mayor when she is elected November 8. She's intelligent, ready, and perfect for this city right now.

Anonymous said...

on the other hand, some real truths abut Ballard would be more effective than pussyfooting around the issues while you are afraid to offend the status quo. Melina offers much to the city and the people who live here and your inability to write about the shortcomings of Ballard do her no favors. Put it out there and quit trying to please everyone. Write the truth and let the chips fall where they may.

Jon E. Easter said...

Nope. I think I do fine here. I'm not going to change, so feel free to build your reading habits around that, Anon 3:26 a.m.