Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rep. Turner Should Apologize or Resign


You know, I've been watching politics for a long time. I've been watching them since before I even knew what I was watching. What I've learned is that I can have friends on the other side of the aisle that I disagree with vehemently but those disagreements can be honest and reasonable.

There are members of the Indiana House that are like this. Phil Hinkle and I disagree on almost everything (except school vouchers), but I've known Rep. Hinkle since before I was born because my mother was an "Avon Lady" many years ago that would visit his home and try to sell products for that company. Sometimes, I shake my head at the things he comes up with, but we just disagree. He's on one side, and I am on the other.

If Rep. Eric Turner (from HJR-6 sponsorship fame) were my friend prior to seeing this piece of video below, then he certainly would no longer be my friend after seeing it.



We can disagree on the idea of choice. I know that it's a loaded issue with compelling arguments on both sides of the issue. I bet that if we sat down and had a rational conversation face-to-face that we could see these different aspects. We could agree to disagree in areas and actually find common ground in others.

It's clear that Turner does not believe in a woman's right to choose, but I think to trivialize what many women go through as he did above stoops to lower to a new level of politics. Bravo to Representative Linda Lawson for her emotional rebuttal to Turner's ridiculous statement that he clearly knew was controversial before he said it (you could tell he was trying to mitigate the damage before it came out of his mouth).

Pure and simple, to make the claim that Turner did, that a woman might fake rape or incest to get an abortion, indicates a perversion of politics that has no place in a body such as the Indiana General Assembly. I call on House Speaker Brian Bosma to demand that Representative Turner apologize to Hoosier women or resign his seat.

This kind of foolishness to make a political point should not be welcome on either side of the aisle in the House of the Hoosier people.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He apologized publicly yesterday before this video started to get out there.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that we have legislators like Linda Lawson. Her statement that this is the state of Indiana sums up the problem. Mitch Daniels and his cronies and trying to make Indiana into some late entry into the confederacy. We seem to be racing to join the Ignorant States of America. What next, Rep. Turner, are you going to introduce a resolution to legalize slavery in Indiana??

marksmall2001 said...

Actually, the movant in Roe v. Wade originally had claimed to have been raped in order to be able to obtain an abortion under Texas state law. Rather than argue about this matter as some sort of "loophole," a woman's right to abortion should be left intact. This legislation should not be on the table in the first place.

Jon E. Easter said...

Anon, 11:24 a.m.,
Please point me to where he issued a statement or where this was covered. When I try to find it on Google, nothing is coming up.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't call this a formal apology but I did find this article where his spokesperson says that he apologized. Certainly not enough of an apology if you ask me.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/03/31/2011-03-31_gop_indiana_state_rep_eric_turner_women_might_lie_about_rape_incest_to_get_an_ab.html

Bradley said...

I think economist Morton Marcus said it best when he said Indiana is the South's middle finger thrust into the Midwest. The Republicans are already pre-blaming the Democrat walk-out if they do not get business wrapped by the end of April, but I hope they remember all the time they have dedicated to the gays and abortion when the budget and re-districting are not done by April 29th.

Anonymous said...

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/04/01/congressman-women-accuse-partners-of-rape-for-tax-funded-abortions/