Friday, February 11, 2011

The More I Think About It...


I have some further thoughts post from earlier today regarding the slating process for Democrats in Marion County and the process behind it.

The slating process has been criticized and lambasted for being unfair in the past, and there are people that believe they have been wronged that will run in the May Primary because they feel things weren't fair in February. I, frankly, don't think that the process that's been settled upon tomorrow morning at the Indiana Convention Center is healthy enough to overturn some calls of shenanigans.

When I first read the information from the MCDP, it jumped off that voters would cast ballots on the Ivotronic voting machines. These are the touchscreen machines. When you vote on these machines, it does keep the cost of an election down, in theory, because you don't have to print paper ballots. The problem is that if an election is close, there are no paper ballots to fall back on. There is no check or balance.

I've been told that each candidate for slating will get one poll watcher. There will be 20 machines. That means that two eyes will have to watch 20 machines for the candidates. Also, the way the Ivotronics work, someone will have to be nearby with a PEB to make the machine work. The PEB must be placed into the machine each time a ballot is cast.

I just wonder how much confidence some of the candidates will have in the process. The way to make slating work, and I do agree with it in principle, is to make the process open and transparent. I am not accusing anyone of anything, but this election process for slating allows people to make claims that the process was poor even if it was not.

I wish I were voting on a paper ballot tomorrow. I'd feel a lot better about my vote. Even if it takes a little longer or if it costs a little more money, I'd rather have that peace of mind. Instead...well...I won't.

Let's just hope slating doesn't end up like this...

3 comments:

Paul K. Ogden said...

How much does it cost to print of paper ballots, $20? I'm pretty sure the cost and time involved in moving the machines is more than $20.

Anonymous said...

I do not like the electronic machines for the reason you stated that there is no paper back up. I was involved in a precinct once where for a bizarre reason the use of the electronic method was encouraged. Unless you are trained on the electronic machine, it is easy to lose your vote. There is a double log off when you have finished voting. It first asks if you have finished voting and after you touch yes, there is a short pause where a screen comes up that asks the voter to submit his/her vote. Many voters think that when they touch YES that means they are finished voting and that is the end of the process. They then walk away. If the submit icon is not touched, the vote is not counted.

William said...

I'm just wondering, how can ONE watcher keep an eye on 20 machines? Does not sound kosher to me....