Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Governor, Mayor Relationship-Challenged?


I tell you, when Republican sources open up, they open up.

I’ve been informed that there may be a rift forming between Marion County and state Republicans, and it all has to do with the Marion County Prosecutor’s race.

My source tells me that Governor Mitch Daniels is not happy with Mayor Greg Ballard’s efforts to get Mark Massa elected Marion County Prosecutor. Ballard, according to my source, “did next to nothing” to elect Massa.

Of course, acting with his own PAC money, the efforts of the Governor were rewarded with a big, fat loss as Terry Curry outdistanced Massa by a little over 8,500 votes.

What does this mean? Well, if Mayor Ballard wants anything added to the state agenda, it’s probably going to have to be something the Governor wants as well. It also means that the Governor could possibly put some things on his agenda that Mayor Ballard’s Administration and handlers may not want.

Whether you believe this tidbit or not, the thought of it is interesting. Does Ballard have ANY support left?

8 comments:

Paul K. Ogden said...

I'm not sure what Daniels thinks Ballard could have done. Does he know how little support Ballard has in his own party? Ballard endorsing Massa might have cost him votes.

That rift between the Mayor and the Governor has been there for at least 2 years. It's not something new. Outside of a few Marion County GOP insiders, Ballard is lightly regarded and has no Republican support.

varangianguard said...

Sure he does, Jon. Supporters include (in no particular order):

People still hoping to cash in with this administration.

People beholden to B-T.

People hoping for handouts.

Clever, but ill-educated, younger Republicans who really like drinking Kool-Aid.

Did I leave anybody out?

Paul K. Ogden said...

Varan,

You forgot Winnie, Ballard's wife. I think she still supports him.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing worse than a beat down from a 5'5" troll.

Paul K. Ogden said...

Anon,

I think Winnie Ballard is a probably under 5 feet.

Bradley said...

@ Paul -- my guess is the anonymous person was referring to the governor when saying 5'5" troll! At least, in my mind and in my hopes, that is what I think Anon was referring to there.

AtlasShrugged said...

I think Daniels is dissatisfied with the status of Marion County education and has regularly talked of the State taking over failing schools. I think Daniels is dissatisfied with Ballard's support for a regionally supported mass transit system. I think Daniels has been embarassed by national coverage of Indianapolis' internal police squabbles. And I think Daniels believed Republicans might rectify the whole Brizzi disgrace of the prosecutor's office, from within the party, by electing Massa. The most powerful Republican elected position in the County went Democrat. What does Daniels have to respect about Ballard? They're not friends. They rarely interact. Ballard's no conservative fiscally. And apparently he's only a team player if he's Captain of the team. Ballard's in bed, like Vaughn, with the devil. So was Brizzi, and it cost him.

Bradley said...

@ Atlas -- Daniels is no better. He is not a fiscal Republican, he is a fiscal fraud. His administration is fraught with ethics problems (most of which are being suppressed by the governor himself, who has control over what the Inspector General's office makes public).

I don't know if I would say Daniels is in bed with the devil, but then again, maybe I would. He is not a good person and puts his greed and that of his friends over doing what is right for this state.